Cat problems!

Hi,
It's true that cats don't like change and are very, very unhappy when they can't go in their litter boxes. Did the vet check for a kidney infection?
Try using unscented litter, many cats don't like smells, their noses are 20x more sensitive to odors than ours are.
The idea that was mentioned about multiple litter boxes in different areas is an excellent idea as some cats are territorial about the boxes and your cat may have difficulty getting to it.
Nature's Miracle or vinegar as two posters mentioned is an excellent idea for cleaning up any residual urine. Don't use ammonia for cleaning! To an animal, it smells just like urine. You can invest in a blacklight bulb and hook it up to a regular lamp and make sure that it's really dark and any urine will fluoresce in total darkness, helping to ensure that you clean up any messes.
I don't know if your cats are neutered or spayed but that might help with the cat population and their behavior. There are many shelters that do this for a nominal fee compared to your regular vet.
Let us know what happens. We care!
smile.png

Suzy

P.S.-My guess is that if you solve the mess problem, DH will be much more pleasant!
big_smile.png

Definately have her checked for a UTI. She may need antibiotics. I was a vet tech for 9 years and that is the number 1 cause of urinating in a different spot. There is also a product called "Boundry" that you can get from your vet or feed store. You spray it where you do not want your cats to go to train them. It will not hurt your floor or any of your furniture. Also try moving the litter box to the spot that she is urinating on for a while to see if that helps. Definately check for a UTI though.
Hope this helped.

Hey SouthernChick! Nice to see you! (I haven't been around much lately)

Yes, Love My Critters is absolutely right: get her tested for a UTI. Before anything can be tackled as a behavior problem, all possible medical causes must be checked...and UTIs in cats, both males and females, are really common. My theory on this is that all that dry food does nothing good for their renal system, but that's just my theory. Feeding homemade or raw food can make a HUGE difference.

Anyway, another possibility: Feliway. You can get it at any pet store; it's also marketed under the name Comfort Zone. It's a plug-in for cats that helps reduce stress and can eliminate inappropriate elimination...BUT ONLY if the cat doesn't have a medical problem.

Amy

Just an fyi but this thread is about 5-6 months old.
smile.png

Hopefully the cat is fine by now.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom