Cat vs chicken?

flying_babyb

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 18, 2011
Chick land
So does anyone have advice about getting my 5 cats to leave the darn chickens alone? Our brooder is up on a table (for saftey) and they sit on the table and watch them. The chickens seem ticked about it. Will it hurt the chicks if the cats are watching them? None of my cats will hurt them, or can get close enough to hurt them (these are cats who play nice with my hamster). Also is it bad for the chicks if my elderly cat (15 years old) sleeps on top the brooder? She likes the heat and the chicks dont seem to care, they will sleep with her up there, and they dont peep madly like they do with the other cats. I guess Im just worried about my babies, Im just a overprotective hen momma!

I've raised chicks with cats, ALOT! After awhile, the cats interest will lessen and they will only come around if they hear a commotion. As the chicks get older, that too, will cause them to lose interest. Too many pecked paws get the hint real quick!
Don't worry about the older one. She won't do any harm. I had 2 one year old cats that would sleep on top of the brooder after we went to bed at night. The fad wears off.
wink.png

the one on top just got pecked
lol.png
I have to say I laughed about it but it didnt phase her. I guess im worried that the cats are causing the chickens undue stress since they are so close. No one has gotten a pecked paw or anything else, there smart enough to stay back, since they at least have that part figured out. There more instrested the chicks when we let them have a little flight time (yep, I let them free fly in our basement)

what is the top of your brooder like? how does it hold the cat? I'm hoping to move the brooder out to my screened in porch in another week or so, but worried the cat with somehow make its way in. They don't stick their paws through?

I was a little concerned about my cat too, up until about a week ago. I started taking the cat and dog (take turns) up to the brooder, every time I would check up on them. When I take the top fencing off the brooder, the chicks (3 or 4 usually), fly up to the brim of the brooder,( they like to be picked up and petted)' the cat was more afraid of the chicks then they were of him.

Since, the cat has gotten used to them, now he stands up on his back feet and smells them. He "pets them with his paw"' never rough and never with his claws. This is my first cat and these are my first chickens, so I wasn't sure what to expect. I really like taking the animals up whenever I tend to the chicks, it's relaxing and fun to watch and also let's them all get used to each other.

Maybe I just have lovable pets? The dog (110# chocolate lab) wouldn't hurt anything intentionally, but he's such an oaf, I imagine one wag of the tail would send one of those little chicks flying off the edge of the brooder and across the room. My chicks have no fear, nor did they ever seem stressed about either of the "other" pets.

My 3 cats all react to the chickies differently. My 15-yr-old cat doesn't give a rip LOL, she's seen so many pets come through here, nothing phases her anymore. My 2 3-yr-old cats though are insane. BOTH would sit & watch the "brooder" all day & in the evening until I covered it. Then when I covered it, one or the other would be on top of it sitting or lying down.

Now that the bebe is bigger, they don't try to grab it anymore but they do stalk it. In the end, the chickens will get the last laugh b/c they'll soon be bigger or as big as the cats!

lol.png

mines actully a rabbit cage so it a galvinized metal. You also need to know that this is a 7 pound cat. The cats can get there paws in but they learned real quick (only took a few pecks last night) to keep there paws to themselves. I cant wait till the chickens are bigger and can fend off a cat. Then agaain , the bigger they get the better they fly... (scary scary thought!) Seeems to be the week for near chicken losses, had one almost make it behind he washer and had one end up on the floor today when she tried to fly from my aunts shoulder to the coop (she didnt want attention anymore)

My three barn cats grew up with the chickens and think they are chickens. I am even able to lock the oldest one (about 2 1/2 years old) in the chick room to keep the stupid rats away from them. Here is a pic of one of my 9 month old cats with my 4/5 week old meaties.
23841_100_0360.jpg

Your cat looks just like my bandit! Unfortanally my cat bandit is the one I trust the least with the chickens, Shes my hunter. good to know they can be freinds. Any chance a chicken can be freinds with a dog? We have a little mutt (a paplion somthing mix) that will be outside with the chicks (who wont be free range when hes out). So far he really wants to play with them as a toy....

Back
Top Bottom