Cat with lump

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Frenchchickens123, Nov 12, 2011.

1. Frenchchickens123

Frenchchickens123 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 25, 2010
    Hi, I have a 16 month tabby called Kian. I found a lump in his back. It's under the skin and quite firm but moves around a lot. He recently had his annual shots, so could it be a reaction and when would it go. I was recently reading about VAS (vaccine associated sarcoma) which scared me so much I don't know if I want to give him any more boosters? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I have had him since he was 4 weeks old and is like my baby and he certainly sees me as mummy! Thanks

2. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    Have it checked out, very, very soon. I lost a cat to VAS. Your cat may just have a lipoma or an abcess, but get it checked out.

3. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    sounds like a granuloma. It happens sometimes in these modern times where we vaccinate our animals for everything under the sun. Basically, I believe it is just granulated tissue, but nothing to really worry about. One of our bobcats has one right in the area where we vaccinate.

4. Frenchchickens123

Frenchchickens123 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 25, 2010
    Hey thanks for the replies! I hope it is nothing serious. I will keep an eye on it. He only had two injections one for rabies and the other I think does several things I know the label has FeLv or something like that on it. I don't belive I will do any more vaccines for the fear of VAS which I was totally unaware of until yesterday. My mum who has kept cats before I was born never bothered with vaccines just the first lot but not the annual ones after that. The only problem is he is a bit of an outdoor cat and we have had one stray in the last year we have lived here. We live in the middle of nowhere with the nearest house 1km away is it risky?? By the way if it is granuloma will it go away after a while?? Thanks

Last edited: Nov 12, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by