Cataract in emu

emu6200

Chirping
Apr 13, 2019
Hello,

For the past 2-3 days, I have noticed a white lens forming on the right eye of my emu. I’m not sure if it’s a cataract or nuclear sclerosis. Today, I checked on it and it looked like she was trying to scratch the eye with her foot. It also looked like there was some water discharge coming out of the eye, which wasn’t happening yesterday.

What would you recommend me doing to remove the cataract? I would like to treat it before it gets worse. Are there any eye drops or medications that will treat cataracts? She has been acting normal and is acting, and I haven’t noticed a change in her behavior. I am very worried that it will lead to blindness, and I’m not sure what to do.

I have attached a few pictures below. The pupil is a little white.

Thank You very much!

Attachments

• A89C9707-81B1-4A3E-BAD9-E6A039C7D3E5.jpeg
    A89C9707-81B1-4A3E-BAD9-E6A039C7D3E5.jpeg
    332.8 KB · Views: 28
  • 2417F568-3AF2-4810-94E3-4E9F4B9E0A38.jpeg
    2417F568-3AF2-4810-94E3-4E9F4B9E0A38.jpeg
    654.8 KB · Views: 4
How did this situation resolve? Sorry I did not see this. I would have been concerned about the possibility of a corneal injury and need for ophthalmic treatment.

How did this situation resolve? Sorry I did not see this. I would have been concerned about the possibility of a corneal injury and need for ophthalmic treatment.
It turned out to be a cataract. As long as the other eye is good, she’ll be fine. I’m 80% sure the cause was due to the barbed wire in the pen. The barbed wire might have poked her eye and caused injury to the eye resulting in the cataract. I have since removed all sharp objects from the pen.

It turned out to be a kcataract. As long as the other eye is good, she’ll be fine. I’m 80% sure the cause was due to the barbed wire in the pen. The barbed wire might have poked her eye and caused injury to the eye resulting in the cataract. I have since removed all sharp objects from the pen.

Back
Top Bottom