Catching a Fox

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by m_shuman, Jun 20, 2011.

1. m_shuman

m_shuman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    Springfield, GA
    DH wants to catch a large fox that is in our neighborhood in a live trap. It hasn't bothered our chickens yet but we want to keep it out of the area. What kind of bait do you suggest using in a live trap to catch a fox?

2. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    goggle "drift fencing red fox cage trap"the top 2 links will show you how if done right the bait is not as important as setting things up , fox are stupid they are easy to catch in a coil spring trap cage traps are a little bit harder to get a fox to go into they are much easier to deal with / dispatch when thy are in a coil spring then a cage the larger the cage the quicker the fox will be caught a raccoon sized cage is 10X12 with fox bigger is better

3. wvfoxhunter

wvfoxhunter Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2011
    Lewisburg, WV
    if you are using a live box trap with a bait box I would put one of your chickens in it. if the chicken is in the bait box the fox wont be able to hurt it and it should be safe till you check it. if you use a foot trap you should use chicken livers and hearts or eggs. even if u dont catch the fox you will still be able to remove any potential problem animals that you may have

4. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I caught this one using peanut butter.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by