1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

catching chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by sc anderson, Dec 1, 2009.

1. sc anderson

sc anderson Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2009
    what is the best way to catch loose running chickens.

2. rhoda_bruce

rhoda_bruce Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Cut Off, LA
    with a small pen and food

3. rhoda_bruce

rhoda_bruce Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Cut Off, LA
    what i mean is it doesn't have to be an actual pen......just use about 20 feet of 2X4 wire and make a circle.....throw in some food and close it off. Then go in with a net. Might need a deer net covering and more space if you talking about a lot of birds.

4. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Easiest with 2 people....
    Corner them, they are easily herded into corner of a barn, back into coop, into a kennel etc... If they are too skittish, wait for them to roost, once they settle in, usually wont take off.

5. ChookHappy

ChookHappy Dances with Chickens

Oct 12, 2009
    Petaluma, Ca
    This might look funny as hell when I do it but when one of my chooks get out or when I'm trying to catch them in the yard I will try to herd them into a corner while holding my arms wide out. This seems to confuse them into thinking that you are huge and makes it easier to catch them. Corners are you're best friend without using any other tools. If that doesn't work I go to the scratch. I throw scratch wherever I want my chooks. Bribery works wonders. [​IMG]

6. Uzuri

Uzuri Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    How food oriented are they? If mine see the feeder, they'll come running and start filling their silly little faces. Then it's just a matter of bend and grab.

7. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    At night when they are asleep. REally truly [​IMG] (Unless they are, at that time, 30 feet up in a tree, in which case tough luck)

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by