Catching Feral Chickens

Thedukelife

In the Brooder
Oct 30, 2016
My parents own a rental property that they are fixing up right now. Unfortunately there are tons of chickens around. Especially roosters, which crow all the time. I was thinking of something simple to catch the chickens. Any suggestions?

Hello there, and welcome to Backyard Chickens! I was thinking along the same lines as shortgrass there, though I'm afraid they often tend to roost quite high sometimes. I see them much like stray cats try warming them to you with some food, they must be starting to have a harder time finding food this late in the season. Good luck!

Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
CT

Greetings from Kansas, thedukelife, and :welcome! Great to have you with us! The only I would recommend for taking feral chickens off the roost at night would be safety glasses and elbow-length gloves. Those rooster have some pretty sharp spurs and toe nails. Best wishes! :)

Greetings from Kansas, thedukelife, and :welcome! Great to have you with us! The only I would recommend for taking feral chickens off the roost at night would be safety glasses and elbow-length gloves. Those rooster have some pretty sharp spurs and toe nails. Best wishes! :)

Oh yeah, most definitely... Sorry, forgot to mention that!

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

A live trap like one would use for a fox or raccoon would probably work well.

If you're intending on eating them, you could probably just take out the cockerels with a .22

Back
Top Bottom