Catching my rooster

crankyyanky1

In the Brooder
May 23, 2016
I have a stupid question I have a mean rooster that someone with a farm and lots of acreage is coming for tom. Every time he sees me he tries to attack me life is too short to be afraid to walk around my own yard. So my question he would be hard to catch so she is coming first thing in the morning to get him would it be easier to get him while he sleeps and put him in the crate. I have heard people say they go in their chicken coop at night and the chickens dont know you are there is this true, can I use a flashlight or will I get attacked and how long does it take for them to fall asleep. Thank you in advance I dont want to be attacked tom morning trying to catch a rooster if I can help it!

Yes, go in at night.....use as little light as you can and simply grab him off the roost holding him very securely with wings to his sides and legs secured or away from you. From there you can put him in a crate, box, gunny sack, etc

It is easier to catch chickens/roosters when they are roosting at night. They can't see at night and are scared. A flashlight won't bother them. I wait till night time to catch my chickens when I need to.

how long does it take for them to go to sleep if I go in there around 930 when it is pretty dark will it be ok I just dont want to be attacked he sleeps on the roost facing the door

Once it's good and dark you should be okay. I usually go out about half an hour after dark when I need to catch somebody that way

how long does it take for them to go to sleep if I go in there around 930 when it is pretty dark will it be ok I just dont want to be attacked he sleeps on the roost facing the door

As others have said, go in after dark. He doesn't need to be asleep. As long as it is dark, he can't see. Chickens are blind in dim light. Now, he will know you're there and he may peck at you, but it'll be blind strikes in the darkness. My roosters don't strike in the dark, but I have two hens that will go nuts pecking wildly in the air if they detect something near them that wasn't there at sundown. Just be firm when you reach out to pick him up -- don't be tentative. He might struggle at first, but he should calm down once he realizes that he is contained. If it makes you feel more confident about picking him up, wear gloves and safety glasses. I don't think you'll need them, but if it helps you feel more confident, do it.

As said, definitely in the dark. Also, I've had good luck holding them upside down by just their feet. The seem to just hang there instead of struggling

Back
Top Bottom