Catching peafowl

i wouldnt advise this but i just run after mine and im a pretty quick little guy and i catch them that way. most of the time they fly in the tree but they have to fly down sometime. remember i wouldnt do this bc they might fly away but i dont wrry about mine doing that.

this is just what i do but im young and can run realy realy realy fast. i can keep up with my guineas even. please dont do this. just thought i would say something.

cole w.

It is strange to hear so many people talking about catching peafowl at night. If I even go in their pen at night they all freak out and jump strait up. The new pens have tin roofs so this always makes me a little nervous. Their perch is very close to the roof to lessen the blow to the head, if they jump. And as for flashlights, just shinning the light into their pen can make them jump. Every farm is different.

My peas are free range and they roost 25' or so up in the trees so capturing them at night is not an option for this old lady LOL.

In the past when I've had to catch them (which thankfully doesn't happen often) I use pieces of bread and keep tossing them into my horse trailer, they can't resist and as soon as they hop into the trailer I shut the doors and then they're easy to catch. You can use any small building or enclosure in place of a horse trailer.

Thanks for all the great ideas. The first week I got them (a male and two females, they were nine months old) one escaped and I herded it into a small shed and try to grab it but it just freaked. I cant beleive how strong these birds are. I went and got a blanket and threw it over the bird and she went completely still. Then I just scooped her up with no fight and put her back in the coop. The reason I need to cath them is because I want to let them out but I'm terrified their going to take off, so I want to do the dreaded wing clipping for this year so I can control how far they go and put them back in the pen at night. Hopefully once they feel like this is their home then next year I won't have to clip their wings. What do you guys think of my plan? Do you have any other suggestions? Thanks for the help.

Quote:
YEs... it seems every bird knows what NETS are used for... They all panic when they see the net... even when Im walking away... I might be on one side of the yard trying to catch turkeys and the peacocks are all agitated with the net... When my chickens see the net, they Scram faster that the speed of sound... all i hear is ZOOM!!!

Back
Top Bottom