Catching raccoons - do it proactively?

We also kill coons “with extreme prejudice”. I keep a live trap baited near my coop. Any coons or feral cats that get in it are promptly dispatched. The coons carry bad parasites and we also have a senior dog that I don’t want contracting leptospirosis. Feral cats are devastating to wild songbird populations. Don’t feel bad about it. You keep poultry and need to protect them.

I've trapped one groundhog, ever in a live trap. he was going into the coop for the chicken feed, and went into the trap baited with the feed.
Recently I talked to a wildlife pest removal person, who said that the live traps opened at both ends, placed over groudhog exits, will catch them. unbaited, looks like a tunnel to them. haven't tried it yet, but plan to.
Having a safe coop and run for overnight solves many raccoon and opossum issues, and never having feed outside of these closed areas matters too.
If we do trap, we then shoot.
Mary

We aren't trapping all the time, but any that appear around the house, barn, or coop, we shoot, or trap and shoot. Most especially raccoons, opossums, and skunks. Feral cats, if friendly and healthy, get rehomed.
Mary

Thanks everybody for all your good replies! I grew up in the city and now live in the suburbs (but 1 acre lots) and there is plenty of wildlife here. Starting to be less squeamish, especially when it comes to protecting my girls and feel much better now knowing that I am not the only one trapping raccoons and other predators.

Back
Top Bottom