Catching those that "know"

GatsbysGirl

Chirping
8 Years
May 19, 2011
Central Illinois
I have 3 roosters. I would like to get down to 2 roosters, possibly 1. My head rooster and the guy who will stay (my avatar) is happy, outgoing, friendly, talkative. The other 2 were raised exactly the same. The low man on my totem pole is not friendly at all. I can't touch him, get close to him, the middle one is so so. I swear though the little one knows he is destined for the freezer.

How do you catch a bird who doesn't want to be caught without freaking the whole coop out? Do I just wait for dawn and get him while he is roosting? I can handle the rest of my birds fine while they are roosting but he still throws a fit. I'm tired of feeding him, he has no purpose in my flock.

Suggestions from those much wiser than I?

Another vote for taking him off the roost. Either late or early, doesn't matter except you have to be very early, before dawn, to catch them still asleep. If he's still mean take a bath towel and toss over him to secure his head and wing, then you can just hold his legs.

Borrow a dog box, a travel box, if you don't have a cage of some kind. Pick him off the roost. Very, very low light, don't wake up the flock. Know in advance where he usually sleeps. Easy as pie. Stick him in the crate and process him the next day, at your convenience. Then? Hose out the dog box before you return it.
lol.png

Last edited:
Borrow a dog box, a travel box, if you don't have a cage of some kind. Pick him off the roost. Very, very low light, don't wake up the flock. Know in advance where he usually sleeps. Easy as pie. Stick him in the crate and process him the next day, at your convenience. Then? Hose out the dog box before you return it.
lol.png
This^^^^^^^. Works like a champ!

Back
Top Bottom