Catching wild a wild duck

Status
Not open for further replies.

thumper650

Crowing
5 Years
Mar 10, 2018
Maynard, MA
There's a mill pond near my house, home to many wild ducks and some Canadian geese. One of the young mallards has a fishing lure stuck in his bill. He is able to eat and drink, and it's been there for at last 2 weeks. I have made 5 attempts to corner him into some dog gates that I have. The geese get close to me and scare some of the ducks away. Bob, the duck I"m trying to catch, is not as bold as some of his ducky friends who will gladly go into my trap for treats. I attempted to use a fishing type net, but as soon as I move it they freak out. If anyone has any tips or guidance on how to catch him, please let me know. I plan on hopefully removing the bobber myself, I bring tools to remove fish hooks when I go, or if necessary I'll bring him to a vet.

The local authorities have been contacted, but apparently don't give a you know what.

Thanks for any insight you may have.
IMG_0883.PNG

There's a mill pond near my house, home to many wild ducks and some Canadian geese. One of the young mallards has a fishing lure stuck in his bill. He is able to eat and drink, and it's been there for at last 2 weeks. I have made 5 attempts to corner him into some dog gates that I have. The geese get close to me and scare some of the ducks away. Bob, the duck I"m trying to catch, is not as bold as some of his ducky friends who will gladly go into my trap for treats. I attempted to use a fishing type net, but as soon as I move it they freak out. If anyone has any tips or guidance on how to catch him, please let me know. I plan on hopefully removing the bobber myself, I bring tools to remove fish hooks when I go, or if necessary I'll bring him to a vet.

The local authorities have been contacted, but apparently don't give a you know what.

Thanks for any insight you may have. View attachment 2774377
Hi I'm sorry but mallard ducks are protected by the U.S Fish and Wildlife. Unless you have a permit you may capture or handle them. This is a page from their website that says stuff about them

https://www.fws.gov/cno/conservation/MigratoryBirds/pdf-files/Ducks-in-pool-4-27-18.pdf

Yeah, I'm aware of all that, but I'm a bit of a scofflaw when it comes to these things.
This is an actual law you may contact your local animal control to handle the problem if you want or you can ask them about the law as well. As much as I would like to trap them like you do if you get caught with releasing them without an actual permit...

This is one of those cases where I honestly don't care about the law.

What I'd do is contact a local rehabber/wildlife rescue and/or Fish and Game Dept./DNR and let them know the situation. Let them know you're willing to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom