Cats attacking my ducks

Rosiej

In the Brooder
Sep 18, 2021
Hi,
We have recently moved house and have 4 ducks.
There are quite a lot of cats around and most pay no interest in our ducks.
But there is one, quite big cat, that is becoming more and more threatening.
It’s ran at our ducks quite a few times and stalks them like prey. We have put lots of cat detergents in our garden but none seem to of worked.

Does anyone know of a cat ever seriously hurting/killing a duck?

A cat can absolutely hurt or kill a duck if it's desperate enough. Do your ducks have a secure coop and run? Are they free ranging? What deterrents have you tried?
Anytime we leave the house or at night we put them in the omlet. But during the day we usually let them free range around the garden, keeping an eye on them.
We have bought various cat deterrents, one that shoots water and a sonar one. We also have a motion camera set up too.
My worry is that the cat is definitely getting more confident and I do fear it could seriously injure one.

Hi,
We have recently moved house and have 4 ducks.
There are quite a lot of cats around and most pay no interest in our ducks.
But there is one, quite big cat, that is becoming more and more threatening.
It’s ran at our ducks quite a few times and stalks them like prey. We have put lots of cat detergents in our garden but none seem to of worked.

Does anyone know of a cat ever seriously hurting/killing a duck?
Could definitely kill, but even just a bite would be dangerous. Cat bites are bad.
I'd reccomending putting the ducks in a covered pen. And perhaps free ranging only when supervised.

I really wish people would keep their cats inside. But they don't, so it's better to be safe than sorry.
My girls are in a pen, which keeps them safe, but thankfully the neighbours cats show no interest. They only come in the garden to catch any rodents they see, to which I thank them.

In cattle country they won't let dogs harass the livestock, but what you do is up to you.
I did have a neighborhood cat jump one of my ducks, but the duck slipped away. Had the cat been quicker, it most likely would have bitten the ducks neck and that could have proved tragic.
That was a few years ago. Haven't seen any errant pet cats in a while, but there is a bobcat in the acreage across the street.

Ditto as to trapping. (I've ducklings near 3 weeks.) My young tabby enthusiastically wanted to rough play with 'em which would have resulted in deaths. He was a handful to restrain at 1st. We live in the country and have 3 pampered cats, all spayed or neutered. On several occasions in the past and recently tragedy has struck from neighbors who don't bother to 'fix' their male cats. Tomorow we have our 3rd vet appointment to determine whether to amputate our baby's tail, which was broken in 2 places by a tom. (that tom is gone) I've zero tolerance for people who are irresponsible with their animals that pose a danger to mine.

Go to Tractor Supply today and get the cage trap, or two. Put a can of sardines in the back and place it where you believe the cat will visit again. Set the trap latch trigger so that a minimum of weight will spring it. (that'll make sense once you examine how the trap works) The cat may be wary the 1st nite. Check for ant issues and freshen the sardines the 2nd nite. Observe trapped cat. If it pitches a fit as you approach the cage, goes to the shelter. If unneutered male, it goes to the shelter. If it's your neighbors cuddly, there's the possibility of supervised introductions and visitations until the cat has the understanding that your ducks aren't prey.

A hungry feral or roaming barn tom would've killed on its 1st attack so don't be too quick to dispatch or take to the shelter a collared or calm kitty. The number 1 destroyer of neighborly relations is irresponsibility with animals/pets. Best to 'ya providing your ducks a safe place to thrive.

Notice unnatural double crook in her tail.

Attachments

• 1000000511[1].jpg
    1000000511[1].jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 1000000566[1].jpg
    1000000566[1].jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Ditto as to trapping. (I've had ducklings near 3 weeks.) My young tabby enthusiastically wanted to rough play with 'em which would have resulted in deaths. He was a handful to restrain at 1st. We live in the country and have 3 pampered cats, all spayed or neutered. On several occasions in the past and recently tragedy has struck from neighbors who don't bother to 'fix' their male cats. Tomorow we have our 3rd vet appointment to determine whether to amputate our baby's tail, which was broken in 2 places by a tom. (that tom is gone) I've zero tolerance for people who are irresponsible with their animals that pose a danger to mine.

Go to Tractor Supply today and get the cage trap, or two. Put a can of sardines in the back and place it where you believe the cat will visit again. Set the trap latch trigger so that a minimum of weight will spring it. (that'll make sense once you examine how the trap works) The cat may be wary the 1st nite. Check for ant issues and freshen the sardines the 2nd nite. Observe trapped cat. If it pitches a fit as you approach the cage, goes to the shelter. If unneutered male, it goes to the shelter. If it's your neighbors cuddly, there's the possibility of supervised introductions and visitations until the cat has the understanding that your ducks aren't prey.

A hungry feral or roaming barn tom would've killed on its 1st attack so don't be too quick to dispatch or take to the shelter a collared or calm kitty. The number 1 destroyer of neighborly relations is irresponsibility with animals/pets. Best to 'ya providing your ducks a safe place to thrive.

Notice unnatural double crook in her tail.
It’s definitely not a feral cat, in the Uk cats are allowed to go wherever they want. It’s someone’s pet so I’m not allowed to catch it.

Back
Top Bottom