Cats/duck danger?

I think it depends on the cat, and on the breed of duck. Call Ducks have to be in more danger than, say, a Muscovy drake! My three cats ignore my ducks. My Muscovy hens have even stolen mice from my smallest cat. Most of the other cats in the area also ignore the ducks. However, there is one sleek black female cat that is far too interested in them. I chase her away when she shows up. My Muscovy hens are believers that the best defense is a good offense, and it works for them. My Rouen just stands still and quacks loudly when threatened. If anyone were to get offed by a cat, it would likely be her! Anyways, I’d be careful, but not paranoid, as someone above me said :)

I suppose I need to accept that I might lose one of my babies. Gawd.
I live on 5 acres in Carnation (about an hour East of you - tons of predators), have had ducks for over 5 years, and haven't lost one duck to a predator yet! They have a room in the barn and an aviary. I let my ducks forage in my yard/property everyday, but only when I'm outside. I also always bring my dog with me. I keep near them and try to be aware. If I see a coyote I haze it and chase it away. If I see a hawk I call my ducks to my feet and give them mealworms. Maybe I'm just lucky?

My bengal actually protected my ducks this afternoon from what she thought to be a threat to them. She usually sits high up above them on her catwalk watching, and usually she lets me know when things aren't quite right outside, well, today, she busted through the netting I have around her catwalk and went after a stray that was getting to close to the ducks, the stray has absolutely no interest in the ducks, he was looking for food, ive been trying to lure him to be the barn cat, after he lost his owner last year, but she wasn't having it, so I would agree that it would probably depend on the cat!!

I have new babies chicks, ducklings, turkeys in the barn and I thought something was happening in the barn. I am thinking that is what attracted a strange cat to our property and the barn. Never had a worry about the adult birds that roost up in the rafters or the full grown geese. Am sure the cat tried to go for the babies in their tubs but our LGD's killed the strange cat for me to find in the morning inside the barn. I have two Bengals who have been around small live stock birds and rabbits, and never bothered them. They will kill wild rabbits and birds but have never gone after our own.

Back
Top Bottom