Cats- egg predator?

Kev

Crowing
12 Years
Jan 13, 2008
Sun City, California
Do cats break and eat chicken eggs? Something has been very stubborn about digging under pens to eat eggs.. I have been laying down wire but want to catch this critter(probably skunk) first before doing the whole perimeter. This evening I set a Havahart trap baited with two eggs and some cat food.. nightly check found a domestic cat inside this havahart trap with the eggs already crushed. I can't decide if eggs were eaten by skunk that just didn't set the trigger and the cat entered after OR the cat might be the guilty party..

The cat has already been let loose(it's the next door neighbor's) and trap re-set...

ymmv, But I have cats all over the property (both mine and stray) and my cats have never shown interest in eggs. Even tried feeding my indoor cats eggs when I had extra and they looked at me like I was nuts. My guess is cat came in to get the cat food.

Yeah- the neighbor is one of those 'cat lovers'. She feeds any cat that comes by so over the years there have been huge numbers of cats that regularly hang around. None showed interest in eggs.. was really surprised to see the cat trapped and the eggs broken.

Back
Top Bottom