Cats In Yard

luvmyhens

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 24, 2010
La Mirada, California
Hello Everyone,

I just saw a cat chasing one of my chickens, she is full grown now and probably looked like a big tasty meal. I heard her squack so I looked out just in time to scare him off. What can I do to keep them out of my yard? My hens love to free range, I put them in the coop when I leave but when I am home they like to strut around the yard. Is there something I can put up or do to keep the cats out?

Thank you for any suggestions.

It's rather rare that a cat will attack a full grown chicken, but it is posted occasionally. Most of the time the chickens will put a cat in it's place. I have 6 feral, stray, and house cats and I need to protect the cats from the hens.
The two best deterrents to cats are dogs and water. Not sure if this is of any help. Maybe a roo?

Good luck

Imp

ugh, tell me about it! My neighbors stupid cat just LOVES to hang out in my yard. Day and night. So far he hasn't bother the chickens, but before I had our deck build, our back patio always smelled like cat pee. Now I have a cat, and she stays inside so why should I have to deal with cat pee and poo around my house. I let our dog chase it the other week, and yet I came home today and there it was, running through the brush as I pulled in.
somad.gif
Then the neighbors complain because they lose cats to disease or animals. Really? Maybe try keeping them in. Grrrr. I also think it is ironic that they are mad that my other neighbors chickens sometimes get on their lawn. I agree that neighbors chickens should not be on their lawn, but for pete's sake, hypocrite anyone?

I have no advice, sorry. I just wanted to commiserate with you. You are not alone.

Quote:
Unfortunately this is the solution... sorry.
sad.png

Cried the first time I had to do this and feel bad every time... but can't have them stalking my babies (have seen them doing it).

Last edited:
There are sprinklers that have a sensor that can spray the cat. I've heard that cats don't like stepping on pine boughs (branches with pine needles on them) Moth balls, but they you have to keep them away from you chickens as well.

.22 round is the most effective. I've had to do it. It sucks, I have 5 of my own, but I warned the neighbors.

I have grown cats and chickens together for two and a half years now.

I know that every cat's behavior can be different. Just as every chicken's behavior can be difference.

Bit it is my experience that most of the time, cats will NOT attack hens. They are definitely intrigued by the hens, and they might interact with them a bit, but my hens are everybit as likely to chase my cat as the cat is to chase the birds -- and most of the time, neither chases the other.

What really surprised me was when I found out that I could trust my indoor cat with the baby chicks. The indoor cat loved to sit there and watch the baby chicks in their brooder (a clear rubbermaid container with a custom made hardware cloth top and a heat lamp that just sits on top of the hardware cloth). The cat would make no move to stalk them or scare them, even when I took the lid off the brooder and the chicks would have been "easy pickins" for a wayward cat...

I think if you could spray the cats with a super soaker or whatever they call the turbo water guns - but add some stink to the water, I don't know perfume something . Strong odors repulse cats and it would bring it home with him to stink up their house. Or paint gun if you are a good shot. It might give owners a clue that their felines are wandering where they don't belong. Those motion activated sprinklers might help but, you have to remember they will spray you too if in range.

Back
Top Bottom