Cats with chickens

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by chickenboy7c2d, Oct 4, 2010.

1. chickenboy7c2d

chickenboy7c2d Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2010
    Surrey, England, UK
    would a large domestic cat protect chickens from foxes, because i am thinking of getting a cat to protect my chickens?

2. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    No. A smart cat will avoid any potential predators to your chickens and a stupid cat will likely get killed.

3. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    Cats are pretty good at looking out for themselves, but not much else. We have one that broke into the brooder and ate some chicks, but leaves the adult birds alone. The only protection she offers them is the distraction factor!

4. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Well, the cat might protect your chickens from rats. Although I don't think protection would be the motivation.

Imp

5. kla37

kla37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    Cats will only protect their own young, and only for so long. They could care less what happens to anything else. Get a good dog. [​IMG]

6. thebritt

thebritt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Humboldt County
    We have a cat, Fiesty, who we've found sleeping with the chickens! We go to open the coop in the morning, and there she'll be, in an unused nest. She's also a great hunter - once our dog, Blue, chased a rat and it ran through the hogwire fence, where Fiesty took up the hunt/chase - it was pretty cool to watch! But I leave the "guarding" to our GP, Ludwig.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by