1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cats!!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by chickenman7, Dec 1, 2007.

1. chickenman7

chickenman7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2007
    TX
    [​IMG]:barnie I have stray cats everywhere.I tried trapping and releasing, didn't work.What should I do!!

Last edited: Dec 2, 2007
  2. bunch-a-chickens

bunch-a-chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2007
    Claiborne County Tn.
    trap and shoot.

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Feral cat's repopulate quickly. As soon as you relocate, they breed, have more, and come back.

See if there is a place near you: http://www.feralcatproject.org/

Else
    , I would trap and shoot. They won't go away and know how to come "home"

4. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    Trao and spay/neuter. THe population will slowly die down and no more unwanted kittens.

Also, you dont have to shoot---most vet hospitals I have worked at will euth for free in that kind of situation if you just drop them off in the trap.

5. Yonaton

Yonaton Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2007
    West TN
    Shoot 'em and put 'em out in the middle of a field somewhere for the vultures to eat, this way the vultures are fed and the bodies are cleaned up, even the mice and field rats will gnaw on the bones a little bit to get the calcium their bodies need (the small animals and others like foxes and coyotes and such will do this also, along with gnawing on dropped deer antlers to get calcium).

If it's done this way, the vet won't raise prices on *other* things (if they're euthanizing for free, there's no way they aren't upping the price elsewhere to make up for the time and money of the drugs used), and they won't have to worry about finding room to bury the carcasses or waste fuel and energy burning them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by