Cats

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by CompostQueen, Jun 30, 2010.

1. CompostQueen

CompostQueen Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2010
    I have 28 chicks. Right now they mostly stay in their coop, occasionally going out into a baby gated pen (with nothing on top) with me there to supervise. When they get older I would like to let them free range around my yard but we have quite a few outdoor cats in my neighborhood.

Right now we do not have a fence on one section of our yard (soon to be rectified). Since getting the chicks we have seen one cat actually in our yard, so thus far it hasn't been a huge problem however we would hate for it to become so.

How big of a problem are cats? I noticed in the poll cats only account for 1% of the vote for worst predator. Is there anything to discourage them? Are they a threat to full grown hens?

2. boogiedog

boogiedog Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2010
    Oakland hills, CA
    I wouldn't worry about full-grown hens; but the little guys, yes.

3. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Cats are generally not a threat to full grown hens (note that I was careful to say 'generally' - there are always exceptions and someone will come along and give one, I imagine).

I would not have cats and chicks together.

JJ

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

What boogiedog said.

5. gettinaclue

gettinaclue Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Virginia
    I have an outside cat that we feed, but she still hunts a bit.

My DD said she saw my cat stalking the chickens and made a run for one just the other day. Luckily, the was some fensing she didn't see between her and them.

I'd definately keep an eye out.

6. kateseidel

kateseidel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2010
    We have two outdoor cats - on the smallish side. We did not let our hens out until they were as big as the cats. The kitties spent a couple of days stalking and trying to jump the hens, the hens just backed them down (they are about half grown buff orpingtons). Now the cats come and share whatever treats we give them. 15 hens and two kitties, all in a big group enjoying a snack. If I had a bigger cat, I might have waited a while longer before giving them access.

7. CompostQueen

CompostQueen Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2010
    Excellent, that all makes a lot of sense! Thank you for all the help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by