Cats

utmontana

Hatching
9 Years
Aug 29, 2010
I have two hens and my neighbors have a TON of cats. Will they attack my birds if I them them out?

Quote:
Most likely the hens will put the cats in their place, but it has been posted that a cat rarely will go after full grown chickens. If your neighbor has tons of cats you probably need to monitor closely at first.

I feed 6 cats feral, stray and house pets. All are afraid of the hens. The hens will run them off their food. They are a little nervous if a strange cat comes into the yard. And a couple days ago I saw one of the house cats running willy-nilly across the yard- it really concerned the hens. LOL

Imp

I just lost my little mille fleur OEGB hen to my own cat. She is trying to teach her kitten to hunt and she killed my beautiful bird.

Of course, I don't think that a cat will mess with one of my orpintons or wyandottes. They are just too big.

we have 5 outdoor cats, and they are the "protectors" of the girls... not that they need much protecting. the girls have killed frogs and snakes in the yard, and the cats and girls live in harmony and have their "understanding"… they just don't bother each other.

There are feral cats that live in the barns behind our property...it was a pressing fear of mine they would get the chickens...we've had NO problems. Now if I could get back the time I spent sweeping a spotlight flashlight over the property, looking for glowing eyes!!!
hu.gif

We are setting traps trying to catch a large orange tom cat that has taken several of our adult Production Reds. We had some dogs get in and kill several of our chickens. We got that problem solved but were still loosing a single chicken about once ever two or three days, the chicken would just vanish without a trace. Finally my son saw the tom cat take the chicken and carry it off. He chased the cat and got the chicken back but the cat got away.

So yes, it can happen.

Back
Top Bottom