CATS

Like... are they sneaking in and killing full grown chickens? Or chicks? Are your chickens open range or are the cats finding ways to sneak through a security breach?

We have lived here 12 yrs. The neighbors behind us always had a huge population of cats that they would only feed a couple of times per week. The neighbors beside us started feeding them daily because they felt bad for them and over the last several years have managed to get the majority spayed/ neutered which keeps the numbers down to around 10-12. I've seen the cats watch and even act like they're stalking the girls but have not had a single hen killed by a cat. They will sneak up pretty close, the girls will notice them and curiously wander over and the cats run away. Not saying that one of your chickens couldn't or wouldn't be attacked and or killed by a cat. Another thing is that I have all standard sized breeds, maybe bantams would be at higher risk?
I don't particularly mind cats, I do not like them in my yard nor their tendency to use my garden and flower beds as their litter box. For this reason I do allow my son to aim for the butts with his air soft gun that shoots plastic bb's. This in no way keeps them away unless they see us :)

As a cat lover that keeps mine INDOORS for multiple reasons....I can tell you, cats are very territorial. My neighbor has cats that stay outside and two consider MY yard, their yard. Cats are curious, and are only domestic creatures able to go feral if left alone. If you get a large dog, the cats may go away as the dog will bark or chase them. Cats do not like lemon/citrus scents -at least inside-hence why I place lemon scented deodorizers near furniture I want to keep them away from. Some cats are repelled by aluminum foil-the feel of it bothers them. Of course the best way to deter an unwanted kitty is water--do you have a water gun ?? Not sure if they have motion sense water sprinklers, but if they do put them round the coop/run or rig some thing is the best I can offer. Hope this helps!!!! Pity you cant teach the chickens to squirt water guns at the cats-what a sight that would be! LOL!!!

Are these your cats, or strays? You can keep the chickens in a secure coop with attached run, you can rehome the cats if they're yours, or you can find ways to either discourage the strays or get rid of them. Those are all the options I can think of. Oh - one more. If they're your neighbor's cats, go talk to the neighbor and ask them to keep their cats off your property. If they don't, take action.

What else can I feed my hens apart from layers pellets any info will be great thanks

Back
Top Bottom