Cattle panel

I've had this goofy trumpet vine for 8 full years now. 2017 will be year 9. Every year I think it's a goner and then every year it puts out 3 or 4 leaves and gives it a valiant effort. <sigh> I wanted it for my hummingbirds. About 5 years ago Ken dug it up and moved it for me. I was thinking that it just didn't like where it was. He put the cattle panel in and then put it close to, but not touching, the house on the west side. Year one, 2012, nothing. Okay, transplant shock. Year two, 2013. Still nothing. In fact, I'd forgotten it was even there except for looking at this bare cattle panel. Year 3, 2014. Leaves! Not many, just enough to say, "I'm still alive and I really don't like you people any more!" Year 4, 2015. More leaves, which the chickens promptly chewed off. Put a perimeter of chicken wire around it. This past year, 2016. Leaves. Everywhere! Lots of shoots. And then, FLOWERS! Not many, maybe a couple of dozen, but they were there finally! Still haven't set up my lawn chair to take photos of the hummers, but I'm sure they'll be there next year.

I have mine trained on a shepherd's hook. I hang my hummingbird feeders under it to keep them in the shade. I love it. Gives the birds lots of places to land.

If you look close, you can see the red bottoms of my feeders up under the canopy. Birds, bees, wasps & ants just love the flowers.

I trim mine back every year. It keeps the bush from getting out of control. The flowers bloom on the new growth.

Last edited:
I have mine trained on a shepherd's hook. I hang my hummingbird feeders under it to keep them in the shade. I love it. Gives the birds lots of places to land.

If you look close, you can see the red bottoms of my feeders up under the canopy. Birds, bees, wasps & ants just love the flowers.

I trim mine back every year. It keeps the bush from getting out of control. The flowers bloom on the new growth.
Wow! That must be one strong shepherd's hook! I love how that looks. I would say something really stoopid at this point like "Maybe I should re-purpose that cattle panel into a new hoop run for the Silkies", but I finally got flowers and I AIN'T moving that vine again! But I will cut it back every year. Thanks!

Last edited:
Yes they are great !!!

I have used close to 100 cattle panels for my pasture for sheep and cattle. Here is the reason why... dollars and cents !
If you really price out the total cost of pasture fence (rolled fencing) include your poles...and don't forget your pressure panels (approximately 70 dollars each) and your corner pressure poles (70 dollars plus each) you will find that overall cattle panels are cheaper.
Reason 2: I am 64 years old. With a spring loaded pile driver and T poles I was able to do most of the work myself along with the gracious help of my lovely wife. We used heavy gage wire to tie off the poles to the panels. An 8 foot pre cut piece of pvc to measure the distance between poles (actually it was 7 feet 10 inches, I find that works better with land contours etc).
All total I have installed over 1500 feet of fence with me and the help of my wife.
Simple to do... and if you need to move them simply cut or remove the wire holding the poles to that panels. Use a pole extractor to remove the poles and put the fence where you want it. PERFECT !!!
Cows like it, Sheep like it, Dogs like it, Coyotes hate it !!!

Use a little electric around the border to keep nuisance animals out and you have a pretty solid pasture...

PS. I also use the panels by bending them in an arch, wiring them together and using old hose around the edges to make a shelter. Simply make your arc... use pallets for walls if you need to and arched panels for the top structure and run a heavy tarp over it... again easy to deconstruct and move...

I used some CP to make a subfloor for my chicken trailer, which was then covered with 1/4" hardware cloth.

Last edited:
Right on.... Along with that I forgot.... The Pallett !!!
Especially if they are free !!!

Yes the metal swing sets make a great trelace ... and don't forget the tarp as well...

I have a place for all my "stuff" like that. I call it the "Bone Yard"

It's my treasure trove...

Homesteading is limited by only one thing...... Your imagination.

Prophtch44

Back
Top Bottom