Caught a 6ft snake eating my chicken!

EllieandOlive

Songster
Aug 29, 2020
West Central Kentucky
Well, we've finally found the culprit! We have lost about 4 dozen fertilized eggs that my 5 ducks had been broody on. They were about 3/4 the way developed, and were slowly disappearing a few at a time. Stupid me, a snake didn't even cross my mind! I kept thinking opossum maybe? My birds weren't being harmed so nothing bigger I thought.

Well last night I went out to change the waterers, and I didn't bring my flashlight (big mistake!) When I was reaching in to my quarantine-chicken cage (my weaklings that I have seperated to give extra care for whatever reason), I brushed up against this snake! Ran back to the house and got my husband and a light. I really am afraid of slitherers.
This 6ft western rat snake was half way through a midnight snack, my 2 month old chicken! GRRR! We got it out of the cage, it spat out the bird and I scared it to a corner while hubby got his air rifle. All while in just his underwear! 😂😂 Nothing more titilating than a man with a gun in his skivvies saving my birds and eggs from a large snake!

Lesson learned, always have a flashlight.

Attachments

• 0719212310a.jpg
    0719212310a.jpg
    686.5 KB · Views: 176
  • 0719212310_HDR.jpg
    0719212310_HDR.jpg
    613.7 KB · Views: 128
  • 0719212314d.jpg
    0719212314d.jpg
    464.4 KB · Views: 116
Well, we've finally found the culprit! We have lost about 4 dozen fertilized eggs that my 5 ducks had been broody on. They were about 3/4 the way developed, and were slowly disappearing a few at a time. Stupid me, a snake didn't even cross my mind! I kept thinking opossum maybe? My birds weren't being harmed so nothing bigger I thought.

Well last night I went out to change the waterers, and I didn't bring my flashlight (big mistake!) When I was reaching in to my quarantine-chicken cage (my weaklings that I have seperated to give extra care for whatever reason), I brushed up against this snake! Ran back to the house and got my husband and a light. I really am afraid of slitherers.
This 6ft western rat snake was half way through a midnight snack, my 2 month old chicken! GRRR! We got it out of the cage, it spat out the bird and I scared it to a corner while hubby got his air rifle. All while in just his underwear! 😂😂 Nothing more titilating than a man with a gun in his skivvies saving my birds and eggs from a large snake!

Lesson learned, always have a flashlight.
I know that must have been tramatic for you(hubby part excluded😁) but those pictures are pretty cool actually! The snake eating the chicken while that other chicken is just standing there. Dang Mother Nature, you scary! Did the half eaten chicken survive? I ask because I've rescued things from snakes mouths before and they were fine

I know that must have been tramatic for you(hubby part excluded😁) but those pictures are pretty cool actually! The snake eating the chicken while that other chicken is just standing there. Dang Mother Nature, you scary! Did the half eaten chicken survive? I ask because I've rescued things from snakes mouths before and they were fine
No, unfortunately it was very much dead. Likely suffocated. :(

Back
Top Bottom