1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Caught a dove

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by Courtney R, Nov 11, 2012.

1. Courtney R

Courtney R Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2012
    Florida
    Last week i caught a dove, cuz i leave the door open for my chickens to go in and out. Three doves always come and eat chicken feed and 1 of them is more comfortable around people. It flew into the chicken coop and i was going bak inside and it started flying around[​IMG] and my rooster was trying to attack it from the outside. i went in and was trying to get something to hold the door and it flew next to me then i grabbed it.[​IMG] My mom said that i had to let it go cuz they mate for life. But it still comes around.

2. fuzzybutt love

fuzzybutt love Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    Michigan
    He sounds like a sweetie
    [​IMG]
    I've always loved doves, but it's illegal to keep them. (the wild ones) They are so beautiful and friendly though!

3. Courtney R

Nov 10, 2012
    Florida
    ikr. the color of its eyes was so pretty, i wanted to keep it, i saw him/her today

4. fuzzybutt love

Jul 30, 2011
    Michigan
    Sounds like you have a friend, perhaps if you put a chair out there and some dove seed, he will come closer.......

Should probably be cautious about letting them with the chickens, though since they can track in lice and whatnot. I think our doves here in MI have made the migration, maybe your little dove is really hungry!

5. Courtney R

Nov 10, 2012
    Florida
    yeah i hav chicken feed out, and i ran down stairs-not knoing he was there- and he just flew a couple feet onto the bike, they come here in Florida wen it starts getting cold

6. Courtney R

Nov 10, 2012
    Florida
    also, i try to keep him away from the chickens cuz my rooster dog and cats try to get the doves, i just dont want him hurt

7. fuzzybutt love

Jul 30, 2011
    Michigan
    are you sure it's a wild one?

8. Courtney R

Nov 10, 2012
    Florida
    yeah im pretty sure, wen i caught him i wanted to put a zip tie on his leg to remember but it mite get him stuck in something, but he is the only one that will come down

9. kestrel123

kestrel123 New Egg

Nov 13, 2012
    Poland
    It would be better to buy a pair of big pigeons( eg. kings). They can live among chikens, what more - in manner like chickens!They are cheap and easy to breed.Andrew - Poland PS.If You want You can look at my kings www.kestrel.sunphoto.ro

10. Courtney R

Nov 10, 2012
    Florida
    of course, but my rooster wood try to attack it[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by