Caught a Possum trying to kill my silkie rooster, need to reinforce coop. Ideas?

Dooziepen

Chirping
Jan 19, 2017
I converted a 12x12 chain link dog pen in to a coop for my silkies (it has fencing covering it as well), and last night woke up to a very upset rooster and ran outside to find the possum with the entire hind end of the rooster (only the feathers) in its mouth. After I startled it and we stared at each other for 5 minutes or so, it went right through the chain link! I didn't realize they could fit through those holes. How would I go about reinforcing it? One of my hens just hatched our first ever chicks last night as well, so I am worried about them. I didn't think to take my gun with me or I would have shot it last night.
A month ago one of my English game bantams disappeared and we found her sitting on a clutch of eggs near the coop under a fallen tree, and something ended up getting her and eating most of the eggs as well, so I am guessing this might be a return visit. HELP!

And leave the chainlink up as well, add the smaller mesh fencing around it.

Will I need to go all the way up with it, or just half way? It stands about 6 ft tall I believe.

And set a trap as well, every night until you catch it (them).
Will I need to go all the way up with it, or just half way? It stands about 6 ft tall I believe.
What if you put heavier more costly stuff down low, and less expensive chicken wire up above it? Do you have a secure coop within this?

My coop is a 10x10 chainlink dog fence with their house inside. I bought 1/4" hardwire mesh in a 3' tall roll, so I put it from about 4' up on the fence down to the 1' area, then a second row covering that 1' and 2' out on the ground. Then I put large plastic netting and bird netting over the top and down the other 2' of fence that isn't covered by the mesh. So everything is double/triple fenced, and there's a skirt 2' out that keeps things from tunneling in. The chainlink is mostly to keep everything held together, as any small animal/dog/cat can go through/under chainlink pretty easily. I've also put the hardwire mesh over the whole door, plus out about 6 inches so that I could wrap it around to the other side to keep the area between the door/side closed. My very large chickens can still stick their entire heads out that corner area otherwise, and my dogs would easily decapitate them. Then I've got a lock inside the mesh on the gate latch, plus 3 latches holding the mesh tight wrapped onto the other side.

Last edited:
Another option would be to run a strand or three of electric wire around the bottom of your run. I find electric wire to be one of the best (and relatively cheapest) deterrents against your 4 legged critters.

I am going to buy some hardware cloth today and go ahead and reinforce the whole thing and bury some chicken wire around it as well. I would use a hot wire, but I have small children and free range birds as well (they get locked up in a shed at night). As for a trap, I think that is a great idea! Hopefully my cats will stay out of it

I am going to buy some hardware cloth today and go ahead and reinforce the whole thing and bury some chicken wire around it as well. I would use a hot wire, but I have small children and free range birds as well (they get locked up in a shed at night). As for a trap, I think that is a great idea! Hopefully my cats will stay out of it

Sounds great! Bait the trap with peanut butter, and the cats won't be interested. Possums love it! Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom