Caught an Opossum

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by chickenpredatorkiller, Aug 21, 2011.

1. chickenpredatorkiller

chickenpredatorkiller Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2011
    South Carolina
    Well this is our third catch in our trap and we were wondering if opossums were likely to attack chickens and eat them.... we don't know if we should kill it or set it free... also, do opossums come back if you take them a mile or two away? Thanks for the help.

2. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    [​IMG] they will kill your chickens if they can get to them.

3. fishman65

fishman65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    flat rock
    they can wipe out a flock quick...in a lot of states it is illegal to relocate predators...either humanely dispatch of it or call local animal control and ask them what you should do with it..if you relocate it you are making your problem someone elses problem. not a good idea.....

4. okiegirl

okiegirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2009
    Tuttle
    I've caught opossums in my coop several times, but thankfully, they've just eaten eggs.

5. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    I do not like killing predators of any kind but oppossums will keep coming back even when treated roughly in effort to teach them not to got after chickens. On most visits they target feed but if they just bite a chicken. infection is very likely. Relocating of oppossums I think will work better than with other species and can be done where no one else has birds so on those counts relocating OK with me. Legality of relocation is another issue and with respect to oppossums law may not be optimal.

6. chickenpredatorkiller

chickenpredatorkiller Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2011
    South Carolina
    we decided to relocate it.... i live in SC and so its fairly rural and I don't think there are any laws against it... we took it at least 10 miles away... any chance it will come back? and no, there were no flocks that I knew of close to where we released it.

7. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    http://www.dnr.sc.gov/wildlife/nwco.html

South
    Carolina requires that you apply and get a permit before trapping nuisance wildlife. The permit is free and good for 30 days.

relocating wildlife is illegal in almost every state and even where legal is a bad idea. It spreads rabies and other disease as well as sentences the relocated animal to a slow/painful death.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by