Caught My Chickens Eating Cat Poop!

JokerRose

Hatching
10 Years
Sep 7, 2009
Minnesota
So, the other day when I let my 4 month old pullets out into the enclosed patio (where I let them safely free-range) I saw them going crazy over something they found in the dirt. I thought it might be a juicy bug of some sort, but it was a cat turd! I was disgusted! I grabbed a spade and took it away from them. I have no idea how long they have been eating found cat doodies. I have two old cats that I let outside sometimes (they don't bother the girls, in fact they are rather afraid of them - Mrs. Howell can be a scary attack chicken) so I know who the guilty cat is. Every morning now before I let my chickens out, I take my spade and check around first. Are my chickens going to be ok? They seem to be thriving and I doubt that was their first cat nugget. But then again, ingesting feces can't be good for them. How much should I worry about this?
hmm.png

Last edited:
I know dogs will eat cat poop any chance they get. My vet says it is their idea of candy......ewwwww. Don't know if it will hurt chickens or not.

Quote:
Geez, good thing I don't let my dog cook, Lord knows what she'd have us eating!
I don't know if it would hurt them or not, I'd worry about toxoplasmosis which both chickens and cats can have (do they all already have it? I don't know) but I don't know. I've heard plenty of people saying that it's fine to have your chickens go over rabbit and goat "berries" because there is still unprocessed food and protein in them, but domestic house animals are a different story I think. You are always supposed to be very careful about poo from dogs or cats, I just keep a spare compost area for doggie doos when I find them.

I doubt if it will hurt them. My dogs will eat cat poop any chance they get. They're delighted we added chooks to the family - now there's even more candy out there
hmm.png
The chicks occasionally peck at the dog turds. One of my chicks pecks at the other chick's butts. The dogs try to lick the cat's butt as he walks by. Hmm....methinks animals don't think quite the same about these things as we do....

Back
Top Bottom