Caught on Camera

SamLockwood

Songster
Sep 29, 2022
This week's unwanted daytime visitor was a coyote. I was alerted by the noise within a minute of this video. When the coyote runs off-camera he was rushing the guineas on the other side of the fence. The guineas would retreat and when the coyote was stopped by the fence, then surged around and charged it, which oddly made it back off.

They went back & forth a couple of times before I was able to get the 12-gauge and drive it off. This gives me greater incentive than ever to replace the part of the fence that's 20+ years old and rusty.

This is going to be a more "interesting" spring than usual, with the adjacent property beginning the land clearing and grading for the new subdivision.

Yep, they are being displaced and getting brave. I found that electric fence keeps them from trespassing.

Coyote(s) jumped a three foot electric fence to attack one of my sheep. Donkeys ran it/them off. I'm not sure how high they can jump. My standard poodle could clear five feet.

It's mating season so they're a bit more active during the days. Fortify the run/coop where you can. Keep the birds safe until the coyote doesn't bother as it won't be an easy meal.

Yep, they are being displaced and getting brave. I found that electric fence keeps them from trespassing.
The coyotes are a regular feature here. They displace a hawk which has caused total chaos with the local bird population. A fox nosed around the barn about two weeks ago.

On the plus side I'm seeing more deer than ever.

It's mating season so they're a bit more active during the days. Fortify the run/coop where you can. Keep the birds safe until the coyote doesn't bother as it won't be an easy meal.
The run and coop setup I have is impervious to anything short of a a bear. That particular coyote probably won't be back for a while as my second shot peppered it with #6 shot and splinters, and neither of the day walkers are active after 11am.

The displaced hawk was a bigger problem until he pissed off the local crows.

That being said, I'm not letting them out this week unless I'm out replacing the fence.

This week's episode is a bit different: the largest single group of deer I've ever seen. I caught them on two cameras: I think it's at least 15.

No more day visits from the coyotes since the last one.

Back
Top Bottom