Caught Red Handed

hcurrie7

Chirping
7 Years
Jan 5, 2013
Update: This is an update for my earlier posts about something killing two of my hens on two different occasions. Since I have kept the chickens penned up behind a fence and an electric fence.

Today I heard Speedy (Golden Duckwing Bantam Rooster) hollaring like he was hurt. I ran out and seen him pacing around hollaring loudly. I looked at everyone. No one was near him except The Don (White Silkie Rooster). Now they are fighting for control of the family but other than a little dancing it has not got really nasty. Don was standing right next to him watching. I observed for a minute just to be sure he was all right. Suddenly a fox runs thru the yard right at Speedy who is 6 feet in front of me. I yell "AAAAARRGGGHH!" The Fox stops right next to Speedy and looks right at me. I yell again. He just looks. I yell, "Get out of here!" and start to come at him. He ran into the bushes not 6 ft away. Once he got in I could not see him anymore. All the chickens except The Don ran onto the patio. I tried to herd The Don down onto the patio also but he wanted to go after the fox. Speedy was still yelling everyone was upset. I have 12 chickens and they are all babies or not fully grown except for the bantams. Which of course are still small.

I beat the bushes to scare it further away and then got my roommate to help me herd them into their pens. I could not find Speedy's two hens Jackie and Jill. I called for them but no sign of them. Finally after 15 minutes of herding and calling. They both came down out of the trees. I did not lose any birds this time. FYI The fox was hunting at 12 noon and with me standing right their. I am worried. I can never keep them safe and I hate to keep them locked up all the time. They enjoy getting out so much.
This is the scene of the crime. Speedy and The Don were standing right in between the two Crape Myrtles. The wall is the patio. I was standing right at the wall.

Don Benedict

Speedy standing behind Jackie. Only pic I have of him.

Two brave guys who were willing to take the fall for their family.

She's probably feeding young. I had a fox snatching chicks middle if day like that so we tracked her a pretty long way to a culvert with babies inside and chickens feathers everywhere. She WILL return.

How do I track her? It was way to fast. Animal control will bring a trap. I thought about doing that.

The fox is definitely feeding young uns. This time of year, they will be in their winter home, so their winter home, is near you. They have summer and winter homes. Look for places that have rocky areas, high banking's, or newer fill...these make great places for dens. They will have umpteen entrances and exits, but the main entrance will be "decorated" with bones, feathers, and all kinds of junk...it really is decorated..to them anyways...The only way you MIGHT get them to move, is try to smoke them out. As the other OP said, they will be back.

I had this happen, in the spring. Winter home, with new pups. I used my GSD to help find the dens and put flares at all the entrances and exits I could find...I'm sure I missed tons. They really have quite a labyrinth of tunnels, where ever they are. Not like a wolf or coyote. They tunnel! I had a chicken taken right out from under my feet, literally...in broad daylight, at high noon, ran my GSD in circles and was back for more, loonngg before my GSD got back.

It didn't get a second one! Really, the only thing you might be able to do, if you can find where they have their dens, is try to make life miserable and hope they move on...or kill them all...trapping one, will do nothing. I suggest keeping them penned until you resolve this also, as they will be back, every day, until you do find a way to move them on ( no garuntee that you can either )...that can be hard. I was lucky, in that they were close to moving to their summer home, so made them so unhappy with the smoke for near two weeks, everyday, till they went away. Then we moved, so I have no idea if they moved back. Bet they did though.

best of luck and sooo sorry you have to deal with this!!!
hmm.png

Ok. I will go hunting. Unfortunately I live on a really really rocky land and area. Their is also a network of caves that run all thru this area. Sigh. I am keeping them locked up. Poor things they are sad. They want to get out and play. I am moving also. We bought a house with more land. We are just waiting for the loan underwriter. Hopefully we wont lose anymore. In the meantime. They are in their pens with top and bottom covered in fence. Sides are double fenced. Then their is a fence around both chicken tractor pens. Then an electric fence around the other fence. I look out at them every few minutes. I can hear them also. I just cannot believe it was going to grab Speedy right in my face. But that is how it got Miss Meringue.

Back
Top Bottom