cause for concern/ is the baby dying?

CrazyChickens09

Songster
10 Years
Sep 14, 2009
SC Kansas
I have eggs that were due April 25th and eggs due Tuesday. I just went into the incubator to remove the eggs from the turner and got them set for (hopefully) Tuesday; while I was in there I decided to candle the eggs that were due the twenty fifth and one baby has internally pipped but was breathing extremely hard(but I have not heard a peep yet or seen any movement for 12 hours) but has not pipped externally and the other had not even pipped internally but both were alive. I am just going to sit back and wait but its soooo hard lol. Is there hope or are the babies doomed? I know I will have many STH's at me but the eggs that were due to hatch the 25th are extremely important to me. Thanks.

I have eggs that were due April 25th and eggs due Tuesday. I just went into the incubator to remove the eggs from the turner and got them set for (hopefully) Tuesday; while I was in there I decided to candle the eggs that were due the twenty fifth and one baby has internally pipped but was breathing extremely hard(but I have not heard a peep yet or seen any movement for 12 hours) but has not pipped externally and the other had not even pipped internally but both were alive. I am just going to sit back and wait but its soooo hard lol. Is there hope or are the babies doomed? I know I will have many STH's at me but the eggs that were due to hatch the 25th are extremely important to me. Thanks.

Hang in there!
barnie.gif

Occasionally a chick will die while hatching but most of them will survive it. I've had a chick hatch on day 24 when the incubator was running cooler than it should have been. Your chicks are still alive. and that's something to be encouraged about.

What I'd do is create an artificial pip in the clear area, above the aircell line, so the chick can get some fresh air in there. Take a sharp object, a pin will do, and score an X over and over in the same spot until you've broken through the shell. Remove a small portion of the shell, about a pea size area will be enough and replace the egg in the incubator. Good luck!

Last edited:
I am very happy to report that the baby pipped at approx. 11:30 am and hatched about ten minutes ago. Still waiting on its brother or sister.

That's great news! How is the other one doing?

sad to say that it looks like the chick's sibling died in the shell; from what I can see zero movement or veining and it had not moved into the air cell. I had hopes that my hatched eggs would hatch so I wouldn't have the single chick deal again, but my thermostat went wonky and I may have lost all those babies as well.

Back
Top Bottom