Cause for concern?

MissPriss13

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 17, 2013
I just got this girl yesterday. The lady I got her from said she thought that maybe she was being picked on and got injured by one of the other hens. That the swelling had gone down. I just haven't seen any notable marks where's someone could have pecked her or scratched her. I do have her separated from my main flock for now. Could this be anything I should be concerned with?

Last edited:
Definitely keep her separate! She should be in quarantine for several weeks. She clearly has something going on with her because that swelling is not normal. Does she have any odor about her face? Any plaques in her mouth or throat? Any open wounds anywhere around her head or neck?

I just got this girl yesterday. The lady I got her from said she thought that maybe she was being picked on and got injured by one of the other hens. That the swelling had gone down. I just haven't seen any notable marks where's someone could have pecked her or scratched her. I do have her separated from my main flock for now. Could this be anything I should be concerned with?

Sorry, I wouldnt have taken the hen from the lady. I wouldve gotten the heck out of there!
What's done is done. Follow CMV's directions, remember biosecurity.

She could have been picked on because she has a contagious disease that will infect your flock. Sick chickens don't feel well, and are pecked. You should take this chicken back, or cull her. She is sick with either a respiratory other other disease such as MG (CRD), coryza, canker, or maybe even fowl cholera. Any of those will make carriers of your flock, and although some people will give antibiotics to help the symptoms, those diseases are not ever cured. Please read this link about symptoms of common diseases and file it away somewhere to look at: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

I opened her mouth and saw this. I'm leaning more towards abscess now. It has a fowl odor, no pun intended. Could it be something she got into and now has gotten infected? How do I treat that?

Last edited:
Definitely keep her separate!  She should be in quarantine for several weeks.  She clearly has something going on with her because that swelling is not normal.  Does she have any odor about her face?  Any plaques in her mouth or throat?  Any open wounds anywhere around her head or neck?

Will you please look at my reply above? I took a closer look this morning.

That looks like canker to me. Return her to where she came from. Canker can be treated, but it infects the whole flock. It is a chronic disease spread through birds using the same waterers. You don't want that in your flock.

I would have to agree that that looks like canker, at least from the pictures I have seen of it. You really need to take this chicken back--don't ask for your money, but take her back where this lady has a flock that is infectious. If she were your own that had been in the flock, I would tell you to treat her with Fish Zole (metronidazole) 250 mg daily by mouth for 5 days. Than I would use acidified copper sulfate 1/4 tsp per gallon of water for 3 days each month to prevent canker in the flock. As CMV told you, you don't want this in your flock.

Back
Top Bottom