Cause of watery whites?

kisat

Songster
12 Years
Apr 1, 2007
Washington State
Hey,

Couple questions. I am just wondering, what causes an egg white to be runny? Is it bad if it is? I know that the better fed chickens are the yellower the yolks and calcium affects the shell, but the whites? What can you do if the whites are runny and clear (almost like water) what foods are missing from the diet or should they be runny?

It's just that I noticed that when my best friend gave me an egg to try before we brought home the chickens, her egg white was really runny - practically water. Ours aren't. I'm just wondering what causes the dif? We feed our chickens a layer pellet (two different mixes that the feed store recommended) and then supplement with extra good-for-them treats. My best friend just kind of throws anything and everything (I know - not good) out there for them to eat.

That is why I am curious what affects the whites and whether they should be so runny or not?

Thanks for the help,
Kim

I really don't know, but would be willing to bet that it has to do with what her hens are eating. Good stuff in, good stuff out. Garbage in, garbage out.

Back
Top Bottom