Causes for Eggs to Become Smaller

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ThornyRidge, Feb 14, 2009.

1. ThornyRidge

ThornyRidge Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2008
    I am wondering some potential causes in eggs appearing to become smaller.. not age related either as these are all just turning one year old.. it just seems over the past few weeks some of their eggs have become noticeably smaller.. could it be weather related (cold, cooped up).. I have not changed food or amounts of anything I give them..

2. h_musick

h_musick Out Of The Brooder

Feb 14, 2009
    I had two hens that did the same thing, i don't know what causes it... i thought it was not enough calcium, but i did not get to find out...(dog).
    They also would lay eggs with out shells, i don't know if that has anything to do with it though.

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Think they are trying to get back those Pullet memories of days gone by?

4. Picco

Picco Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    NY
    Extreme weather effects egg size and shell quality, although usually cold doesn't have too much of an effect. When its extremely hot my eggs seem to be a bit smaller and have thinner shells.

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Once in awhile I get an egg smaller than the others. My hens are about 2 yrs old. I was surprised the other day as I did have one that had a thin shell with a hairline crack in the shell. I never really noticed any real significant changes.

6. NorCalMtnChick

NorCalMtnChick Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2008
    Taylorsville, CA
    We just found a fresh brown egg that was much smaller than usual and had little wrinkle-ish patterns all over the egg. Very strange. Anyone have an explanation? Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by