Causes for Eggs to Become Smaller

ThornyRidge

Songster
11 Years
Oct 28, 2008
I am wondering some potential causes in eggs appearing to become smaller.. not age related either as these are all just turning one year old.. it just seems over the past few weeks some of their eggs have become noticeably smaller.. could it be weather related (cold, cooped up).. I have not changed food or amounts of anything I give them..

I had two hens that did the same thing, i don't know what causes it... i thought it was not enough calcium, but i did not get to find out...(dog).
They also would lay eggs with out shells, i don't know if that has anything to do with it though.

Extreme weather effects egg size and shell quality, although usually cold doesn't have too much of an effect. When its extremely hot my eggs seem to be a bit smaller and have thinner shells.

Once in awhile I get an egg smaller than the others. My hens are about 2 yrs old. I was surprised the other day as I did have one that had a thin shell with a hairline crack in the shell. I never really noticed any real significant changes.

Back
Top Bottom