Cayenne pepper and egg laying

nannie

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 8, 2013
mineral virginia
can anyone tell me if cayenne pepper will make my hens again.almost all of my older hens have stopped laying eggs,ONLY 2 years old.i remember reading this on here somewhere,if you know tell me how much and how often?i do find an very small egg like they did in the very beginning
any ideas would be helpful

I use cayenne pepper as a boost start to my hens egg laying all the time. I use it on my Broody EE and it works. I usually give a good coating to their food or I add it to their wet bread treat. Always two days after my hens lay again. My hens are about three years old. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Last edited:
can anyone tell me if cayenne pepper will make my hens again.almost all of my older hens have stopped laying eggs,ONLY 2 years old.i remember reading this on here somewhere,if you know tell me how much and how often?i do find an very small egg like they did in the very beginning
How long since they've laid well?
What breed are your hens? Production breeds can slow way down at 2 years old.
Have they had a full adult molt yet?

What I have heard is that the capsaicin in pepper although supposedly not tasted, increases thirst and the chickens will drink more water. Eggs are mostly water.

There could be a number of reasons that your chickens are slowing down - as aart said the molt, also this heat can have an effect. Stress, many causes. What changes have happened that affect your flock lately? new housing, new flock members, a new pet in the family? Change in feed or feeding schedule..etc. IF your temperatures are as hot as ours here..then expect a slow down in laying.

I have 6 hens and all but one has been laying eggs. The one that hasn't yet is the one that molted the worst. I decided to try the cayenne pepper to see if it would work on her. It did! I used the powder form and sprinkled it in with their food on Friday and Sunday she laid her first egg! I have to say I was surprised.

Back
Top Bottom