Cayuga carriage, injury? *pictures*

maralynn28

Songster
9 Years
Mar 4, 2010
Corpus Christi, TX
Not sure where to post this...I posted in Ducks but I guess here would be better?

Sorry all for bombarding you with these questions, could be I'm just a little overprotective. I noticed that the Cayuga that I had wrapped up for a few days to correct her twisted wing now walks a bit lower to the ground than the other 3 ducks, more like a rouen? Could she just be stiff from being wrapped and needs a little while to loosen up again or is this a concern? I hope I didn't mess up while trying to solve a minor issue.
I really appreciate your help. Worried...

Could she just be FAT? This is the same slug muncher I've been posting about so maybe it's catching up with her weight-wise. If so, how do I go about a duckie diet without bothering the other 3. They are all perfectly healthy.

Here are some photos...notice the bump on her chest?
50300_img00087.jpg

Here you can compare her with the other 3...???
50300_img00092.jpg

This is them walking, she is still like that...
50300_img00089.jpg

Someone please help?

Holy crow, it looks like she has ten giant banana slugs in her crop!! Well, ducks don't have large crops like chickens, but a dilation in their mid esophagus that sort of functions like one.

My first guess in an impaction. Except you don't report her having any symptoms other than walking low.

I don't think it's over worrying, something ain't right there. Pick her up and palpate that enlarged area. Is it hard or soft? Like a balloon? Does it move around when you palpate it?

I think ducks and geese get fat more in their internal organs, between their legs and around their vents, not in the front.

ETA: when you get hold of her, check her breath. It should smell clean (or like grasses or feed). It should not smell sour or bad.

Last edited:
Thanks Kim, I'll check her. Now that I know what possibilities might be, I can check up on it. I really appreciate your help!
Oh I forgot to add, I did check her and she feels normal. She looks like if she walke up taller she wouldn't have the "belly" but she walks so low...
I don't know why or what to do.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom