Cayuga Drake x Fawn and White Runner Duck

They are good guards, but our polish rooster is actually the watchdog of the entire flock. He alerts everyone when a hawk is in the area and does his best to make sure everyone gets into cover. And with that said. Our alpha pair of runner ducks is the first to charge our dogs if they come anywhere near their area. Our German Shepherd went into the pen with me one day and they cornered her and were pulling hair, she looked at me and begged me to get her out. But ducklings can be hurt by chickens so they need to be grown, I wait until between 4 to 6 weeks to put them into a cage within their pen to introduce them, then release them around 8 weeks.

I've heard that the ducklings need to be about the same size when they are introduce to the chicken flock. Plus I'd be following an integration plan similar to what I'd need to do with new chickens. My babies' safety comes first; whether they're chickens or ducks. I might be new, but I'm going to go the most cautious route.

Just wondering, what did these ducklings look like when they're adults? As I type this I have 4 white runner x Cayuga ducklings cuddled up with me. Just wondering what they would look like when they're older?

2 stand like runners, 2 seem to be like cayugas. They're only a couple days old. This is them outside for the first time yesterday.
Snapchat-1784153033.jpg

They are precious:love Mixes always make such adorable ducklings. Sounds like you got both parents in those genes. So keep the pictures coming as they grow so we can see how they are turning out.
I will. Yesterday when I was in the cage and I was getting cuddles they were just sitting there. Then all of a sudden I had a duckling on my shoulder sitting like a bird and one just chilling in my sleeve. I felt them moving but didn’t pay much attention until I could see a black thing on my shoulder and there was a duckling just looking at me like ‘Mama, look I can climb up here!’

I forgot to post the pictures on here. I can't figure out how to tag though.
Snapchat-1681258955.jpg
Snapchat-1567071900.jpg
Snapchat-1814304627.jpg

The last picture is of the ducklings that hatched last week. They're appleyard x Cayuga x runner and Cayuga x runner. The duck was sitting on hers and the other ducks.

Thank you, I can’t wait to see what it looks like with it’s adult feathers.
My Cayuga mother and white runner father just had their 7 eggs hatch, and the babies seem healthy. They look exactly like your picture above. Any updates picture of what they look like as adults?

Back
Top Bottom