Cayuga Duck eat slug pellets...help

manxminx

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 20, 2009
Isle of Man
Yesterday my 3 Cayuga ducks got onto an uncovered veg plot and eat an unknown amount of slug pellets. We gave them milk to drink as we thought it would at least line their tummy's. I saw all 3 this morning and they were fine, but just got home and Ella is not right at all. She's very unsteady, shaking, and keep shutting her eyes. She's got herself to water and is floating there as the moment. Is there anything I can give her, or do for her? I don't understand how she can be fine this morning and down hill so quick. I'm also worried about my other 2 ducks. Should I leave her on the water, or put her in a quiet dark place?

Probably a little late, but charcoal would have been a good option. What type of slug pellets did the ducks eat? There are 2 types, the really toxic ones (metaldehyde), and the much safer iron sulphate based ones (name brand Sluggo). If the ducks ate any significant quantity of the metaldehyde, you may consider taking the duck to a vet for charcoal, or if it's too late, to have it put down so it doesn't suffer. If it's the iron sulphate, then the duck should THEORETICALLY be fine. And maybe switch to iron sulphate based slug killers in the future. They're a lot more expensive, but not toxic.

Also, if it's metaldehyde based, and you usually eat your duck eggs, you may consider tossing them for the next couple weeks if the ducks survive.

Fingers crossed, she seems to be a little better. She took a couple of worms off my hand, she did seem to have a bit of trouble eating them, but she did it in the end. I normally use pet safe slug pellets, I have no idea where my brother found these horrid things.

Thank you for your replies and links, I'll let you know how she gets on :)

Well, it's been 2 days since Ella ate the pellets, she seems absolutely fine thank god!! I found some nice big juicy worms for her and she's loving them, eating no problem!! her neck seems to have sorted itself out, such a difference from the other day. Now we just need to get the weekend over and we'll be free and clear. In one of the links (thanks Dan) it says they can die 3-4 days later of liver failure :( I'll post again early next week - fingers crossed it's good news :)
btw - those slugs pellets have been disposed of...for good!!

You may want to get some food grade activated charcoal for the medicine chest, and put a teaspoon of that in a quart of water and offer it to her to drink, to help rid her system of poison.

Back
Top Bottom