Cayuga duck question

Gigachad poultry

Rest in peace Eda ~ 2018-2024
Premium Feather Member
Dec 24, 2022
Vicenza IT
So I'm getting and breeding Cayuga ducks and I'm wondering if the darker the egg the egg is if that will result in a high quality bird? Also I'm wondering if he s will lay dark/completely black eggs in the beginning of the year and they slowly get lighter and the year progresses? What is the difference between a high quality and low quality Cayuga duck? Like what is the standard? Is it possible to mix them with other breeds? I wouldn't try to but I'm curious. Like if you mix a Cayuga drake with a Muscovy hen, or mallard hen and Cayuga drake. I know these pretty weird or dumb questions, but I'm happy with any answer I can get! If anyone has tips on taking care of Cayuga ducks or things people normally don't tell about the breed, I really want to know what I'm expecting if I get some! I'm getting a pair, because from my research they seem to be one of the few breeds that are calm enough to be kept in pairs or trios (2 hens 1 drake)

So I'm getting and breeding Cayuga ducks and I'm wondering if the darker the egg the egg is if that will result in a high quality bird? Also I'm wondering if he s will lay dark/completely black eggs in the beginning of the year and they slowly get lighter and the year progresses? What is the difference between a high quality and low quality Cayuga duck? Like what is the standard? Is it possible to mix them with other breeds? I wouldn't try to but I'm curious. Like if you mix a Cayuga drake with a Muscovy hen, or mallard hen and Cayuga drake. I know these pretty weird or dumb questions, but I'm happy with any answer I can get! If anyone has tips on taking care of Cayuga ducks or things people normally don't tell about the breed, I really want to know what I'm expecting if I get some! I'm getting a pair, because from my research they seem to be one of the few breeds that are calm enough to be kept in pairs or trios (2 hens 1 drake)
Good question, I wouldn't know.

I do have 5 Cayuga cross ducklings right now though. 4 of them seem to be khaki Campbell mixes and 1 is a blue swedish mix.
The only drakes I've ever had were/are Cayuga drakes, the first ducks we got 8 or so years ago were 2 Cayuga drakes 1 of them is still here with us today, Chiharu is a dad possibly a grandpa if his son didnt fertilize all the eggs that hatched. And my Cayuga hen has hatched ducklings twice now, each time she only had 2 hatch.

She didn't have her own eggs this year as her son always has access to her and him fertilizeing his own mom's eggs sounds weird so I made sure none were hers this time.

I don't think I notice much difference in the ducklings that are khaki Cayuga babies I also don't do shows or breeding for other people their just simply pet ducks who are more my friends than anything, I wish you luck with finding answers too your questions and that your ducks current or future (if any at all) do well and thrive.

I would tag someone with knowledge of things like this but I wouldn't know who

Good question, I wouldn't know.

I do have 5 Cayuga cross ducklings right now though. 4 of them seem to be khaki Campbell mixes and 1 is a blue swedish mix.
The only drakes I've ever had were/are Cayuga drakes, the first ducks we got 8 or so years ago were 2 Cayuga drakes 1 of them is still here with us today, Chiharu is a dad possibly a grandpa if his son didnt fertilize all the eggs that hatched. And my Cayuga hen has hatched ducklings twice now, each time she only had 2 hatch.

She didn't have her own eggs this year as her son always has access to her and him fertilizeing his own mom's eggs sounds weird so I made sure none were hers this time.

I don't think I notice much difference in the ducklings that are khaki Cayuga babies I also don't do shows or breeding for other people their just simply pet ducks who are more my friends than anything, I wish you luck with finding answers too your questions and that your ducks current or future (if any at all) do well and thrive.

I would tag someone with knowledge of things like this but I wouldn't know who
Wow I can't believe ducks can get that old! Well I do know but I haven't heard someone say they had a duck that old. Have you had any problems with arthritis in your ducks? I've heard that a really common thing.

although inbreeding ducks sounds weird, it completely fine for the most part. That's actually how most if not all new breeds are created!

Wow I can't believe ducks can get that old! Well I do know but I haven't heard someone say they had a duck that old. Have you had any problems with arthritis in your ducks? I've heard that a really common thing.
I was like 6 when we got Chiharu and just chickens in general.
Chiharu is most likely around 8 years old, we got him as a duckling with another cayuga who was named Crow but passed not too long after he grew up and both became drakes.

Today I went out and got a bunch of pictures of of Chiharu here's one. He's got his new feathers too since its molding season. 20230904_103950_HDR.jpg

although inbreeding ducks sounds weird, it completely fine for the most part. That's actually how most if not all new breeds are created!
I knew most of that already lol, I just don't want to risk any deformities if there's even the slightest chance it would be higher from inbreeding.

I think the only issue I've really had with the ducks is bumble foot probably because I didn't really know how to manage everything properly a few years ago. And the ground here probably doesn't help much.

Chiharu is most likely around 8 years old, we got him as a duckling with another cayuga who was named Crow but passed not too long after he grew up and both became drakes.

Today I went out and got a bunch of pictures of of Chiharu here's one. He's got his new feathers too since its molding season.View attachment 3628079

I knew most of that already lol, I just don't want to risk any deformities if there's even the slightest chance it would be higher from inbreeding.

I think the only issue I've really had with the ducks is bumble foot probably because I didn't really know how to manage everything properly a few years ago. And the ground here probably doesn't help much.
He's adorable and it looks like he had a nice molt! I guess it is true that they get white feathers as they age! The ground in my area is most just moss and ready great gardening soil. It's not to wet, and it doesn't become mud it just clumps until the moss absorbs it all. I'm kinda afraid of bumble foot and I'm wondering if a coop with a plastic floor and a thin layer of hay is enough for them? I might make something like this instead, but with fencing on the outer bottom so it's dig proof.
_.20100731141719.medium.jpg

You asked about if you could cross cayuga ducks with other ducks and the answer is yes, but the example you gave was muscovites which is a different situation. Most domestic ducks are mallard derived including cyugas. All mallard derived ducks can be breed to each other. Muskovy are different. They are not as closely related. Crosses can be made between muscovies and mallard derived ducks, but the offspring will not be fertile.

Today I went out and got a bunch of pictures of of Chiharu here's one. He's got his new feathers too since its molding season.View attachment 3628079

So many typos, molting season, auto correct said molding.

He's adorable and it looks like he had a nice molt! I guess it is true that they get white feathers as they age! The ground in my area is most just moss and ready great gardening soil. It's not to wet, and it doesn't become mud it just clumps until the moss absorbs it all. I'm kinda afraid of bumble foot and I'm wondering if a coop with a plastic floor and a thin layer of hay is enough for them? I might make something like this instead, but with fencing on the outer bottom so it's dig proof.
View attachment 3628097
I'm no expert with coops for ducks nor am I an expert with anything.

I have read that cuts and pressure sores from hard flat ground and poor management of the coop and run area, obesity and im sure many other things can cause it.
The coop setup your thinking of sounds good ducks with plenty of room and a well managed coop run area and lots of water and the proper diet are the happiest, and generally the healthiest.

Don't make the mistake I did a few years ago and not clean out their coop enough, they can have extremely messy poops mainly if they've had lots of water.

My chickens and ducks have always free ranged in some form, sometimes it was 24/7 free ranging.

So many typos, molting season, auto correct said molding.

I'm no expert with coops for ducks nor am I an expert with anything.

I have read that cuts and pressure sores from hard flat ground and poor management of the coop and run area, obesity and im sure many other things can cause it.
The coop setup your thinking of sounds good ducks with plenty of room and a well managed coop run area and lots of water and the proper diet are the happiest, and generally the healthiest.

Don't make the mistake I did a few years ago and not clean out their coop enough, they can have extremely messy poops mainly if they've had lots of water.

My chickens and ducks have always free ranged in some form, sometimes it was 24/7 free ranging.
I'm also not the biggest expert, I'm planning on letting them free roam, but I'd make sure the coop was mobile so I could easily move it over to the hose so I can clean it. Have you ever thought about farming duck weed? According to some of my research some people will fed their ducks a mix of duckweed, lettuce, and hard boiled eggs as a kind of DIY food! Duckweed is really good for them, but It doesn't have enough vitamin c, so that's where the lettuce comes in and it's full of it! And the egg yolk had lots of great nutrients. I also plan on letting them free roam and that way the only food I need to buy is in winter. Idk, it's just an idea.

I'm also not the biggest expert, I'm planning on letting them free roam, but I'd make sure the coop was mobile so I could easily move it over to the hose so I can clean it.
That's cool! I wish my coop setup was something similar to what you hope to do it might get blown away here though if anything I have is too light.
Have you ever thought about farming duck weed?
No, I haven't much, I have a freshwater fish tank inside and I have carry tiny duck weed in it. I hope to one day have a pond for the ducks that would keep it's self "clean" like any actual natural pond would that has fish and plants in it. I want to find plants that are that are good forage and native to my state and area, to start growing for the chickens and ducks. I also want to start a garden someday too.
According to some of my research some people will fed their ducks a mix of duckweed, lettuce, and hard boiled eggs as a kind of DIY food! Duckweed is really good for them, but It doesn't have enough vitamin c, so that's where the lettuce comes in and it's full of it! And the egg yolk had lots of great nutrients. I also plan on letting them free roam and that way the only food I need to buy is in winter. Idk, it's just an idea.
Good luck with that stuff!

That's cool! I wish my coop setup was something similar to what you hope to do it might get blown away here though if anything I have is too light.

No, I haven't much, I have a freshwater fish tank inside and I have carry tiny duck weed in it. I hope to one day have a pond for the ducks that would keep it's self "clean" like any actual natural pond would that has fish and plants in it. I want to find plants that are that are good forage and native to my state and area, to start growing for the chickens and ducks. I also want to start a garden someday too.

Good luck with that stuff!
Well if the day arrives and you want to build a pond I can help you with that. I know three different was you can build ponds!

Back
Top Bottom