Cayuga duck swallowed 1.5 inch needle with plastic ball on one end!!!!!????!!!!!

NewDuckMama4

Chirping
Aug 11, 2019
Please please please HELP ME!!!!!!! My 5 week old cayuga duck swallowed a needle yesterday early evening and im terrified im going to loose him!!!!!!!!!! I went onto "Justawnsers" and paid $30 to speak to a licensed bird vet and she advised me to do the following............Dont feed him or give him water till the next morning( so that his crop would be empty.
Next feel with my hands for the needle in his crop then maneuver it so that the sharp end is facing outward and push thru the skin towards me!!
Then once i get the needle as far out as i can im to take a wire cutters and snip the needle close to his skin so that only the plastic ball remains in the crop !!!.

Im VERY WORRIED and cant seem to feel the needle and please dont suggest i go to the vet!!! I realize this would be ideal but unfortunately there are none in my area and i can not afford what it will cost for this ....but he is VERY VeRY special to me we cuddle and nap together !!! ANY HELP WOULD be VERY APPRECIATED

Oh dear.. poor thing. How did he get a hold of this needle? after you have done all of that just wait. I'm no expert since this has never happened to me so hopefully the experts well be coming soon. How is his behavior? Does he feel any pain? Good luck.:fl:hugs

he acquired the needle while he was sitting on my lap I was just taking 2 minutes to put some Velcro on a diaper design that I was making for him when he ninja snatched one right out of the fabric ball end first i tried to reach IMMEDIATELY but as u all know once they have something its usually gone in a fraction of a second!!! And i sat up with him ALL NIGHT in the bathroom and he is acting ok not in any pain now but last night he regurgitated a bunch of food by shaking his head and literally launching food EVERYWHERE!!!! ....its been a long night to say the least ........but i am just concerned since i cant seem to feel /find the needle and wheneverr i look at one of the said needs i just think" there is NO way that somethimg like this will make it thru his system!!!

I have been waiting for Justawnsers to respond all night to give me a second opinion........it worries me performing that kind of work/extraction on him without making darn sure its what i should /can do .....i dont mean to doubt the first professional but ......well.......u get it

he acquired the needle while he was sitting on my lap I was just taking 2 minutes to put some Velcro on a diaper design that I was making for him when he ninja snatched one right out of the fabric ball end first i tried to reach IMMEDIATELY but as u all know once they have something its usually gone in a fraction of a second!!! And i sat up with him ALL NIGHT in the bathroom and he is acting ok not in any pain now but last night he regurgitated a bunch of food by shaking his head and literally launching food EVERYWHERE!!!! ....its been a long night to say the least ........but i am just concerned since i cant seem to feel /find the needle and wheneverr i look at one of the said needs i just think" there is NO way that somethimg like this will make it thru his system!!!
jusst hope t didn't punture into any organs, like john said he is in gods hands for right now. Maybe an expert has some better ideas but you have already had one. good luck

I know ur right.....it just sucks waiting......should i put him back in by his 3 buddies and let him eat something.??

I know ur right.....it just sucks waiting......should i put him back in by his 3 buddies and let him eat something.??[/QUOTE
If you are going to put him with the others monitor him incase he poops/passes the needle so the others don't find it interesting.. now i'm not sure if it works like that but it is better safe than sorry. I would let him drink and maybe eat something for a bit.

If you are going to put him with the others monitor him incase he poops/passes the needle so the others don't find it interesting.. now i'm not sure if it works like that but it is better safe than sorry. I would let him drink and maybe eat something for a bit.

Back
Top Bottom