cayuga duck thread

Pics
I love my ducks so much! They have truly been the sweetest/most high maitrnance pets I've ever had! They bring a smile to my face everyday!

Couple of questions. I have a possible opportunity to get some Cayuga girls and am looking into understanding more about the coloring.

What age do the Cayuga girls start getting white and by what age are they mostly white? Trying to figure out how old approximately they will be if I get them. I haven't seen them yet so just trying to get a general idea here on how the white with age works.

I have tried searching pictures but there doesn't seem to be many of them turning white. Do they get a mottled or random look with the white increasing? Or is it more of a standard pattern that progresses, like white on the head going down with age for example? My sister is madly in love with Anconas and I am hoping for something like their mottling with age. I know that it will depend on the duck and all, just trying to figure out if this is a bonus to look forward to.

I read that the female Cayugas can be used to create a sex-linked cross if crossed with a chocolate drake. Khaki Campbell drakes were also mentioned. Has anyone here crossed a female Cayuga with a Khaki Campbell drake? Its my understanding that this would cause a sex-link batch of babies. Female babies of this cross would be brown and the males black if I have this right and these girl babies should be great layers getting the egg production from the dad. Has anyone tried this cross and if so what were they like?

Last edited:
Sometimes the girls are born with white but sometimes they barely have any white even when old . My Cayuga is at kat 5 years old and barely any white like not even one feather just a little piece of a feather on her chest not even noticeable .

They are never mostly white unless there like decade or two .

Sometimes the girls are born with white but sometimes they barely have any white even when old . My Cayuga is at kat 5 years old and barely any white like not even one feather just a little piece of a feather on her chest not even noticeable .

They are never mostly white unless there like decade or two .
Okay, thanks. That helps. I was getting the idea that they might start turning white after a couple of years, then eventually (maybe around 7) completely white. I just couldn't find anything on it other then "they will turn white when older" and that was not quite enough information.

Back
Top Bottom