cayuga duck thread

Pics
I cant see a curled feather in the pic. Does it quack loudly?
I have honestly never heard it quack at all. and the curl is 1 little feather that curls up under to its wing. I have a crested drake that I bought at the same time I got my Cayuga thinking and hoping it was a hen and I have seen him mount almost all my other ducks (his favorite is my rouen) but the Cayuga. he does not fight with Emerald or try and mate that I have seen so I am so confused. I have a baby cayuga in the brooder too that is supposed to be a hen. I want a flock of Cayuga but I need to figure out what I have first...lol

Last edited:
My two cayugas are complete opposites. One is very sweet and loving and the other has recently started pecking her feathers out!!! He bit me so hard in the face the other day I **** near cried!! He has been awful lately. He tears apart anything he can and constantly pecks. He is obsessed with tearing the girls feathers out and it hurts her! I feel so bad I don't know what to do! He is the smaller of the two. (And I'm not sure if they are male or female that's just my guess.)

They stay outside all day unless we go somewhere. They go up in their pen at night. I have heard that it could be from boredom but surely not. They have a big pool and run around the yard all day. I have no idea what to do!!!

I have honestly never heard it quack at all. and the curl is 1 little feather that curls up under to its wing. I have a crested drake that I bought at the same time I got my Cayuga thinking and hoping it was a hen and I have seen him mount almost all my other ducks (his favorite is my rouen) but the Cayuga. he does not fight with Emerald or try and mate that I have seen so I am so confused. I have a baby cayuga in the brooder too that is supposed to be a hen. I want a flock of Cayuga but I need to figure out what I have first...lol
Oh i wish i could help more! Hopefully time will tell. How old is emerald.

They stay outside all day unless we go somewhere. They go up in their pen at night. I have heard that it could be from boredom but surely not. They have a big pool and run around the yard all day. I have no idea what to do!!!
How old are they? Do you only have two? It could be hormones if he is a drake. Some drakes get mean during mating season and calm down after.

My two cayugas are complete opposites. One is very sweet and loving and the other has recently started pecking her feathers out!!! He bit me so hard in the face the other day I **** near cried!! He has been awful lately. He tears apart anything he can and constantly pecks. He is obsessed with tearing the girls feathers out and it hurts her! I feel so bad I don't know what to do! He is the smaller of the two. (And I'm not sure if they are male or female that's just my guess.)

Google "biting duck". You'll find a few good forum posts about duck and dominance. After only a few times of dominating my duck, she calmed down and has never bit me since.
This should help with some of your problems.

Your duck is going through what every other maturing duck that is kept in a pen or cage with it's sibling does . It's called feather eating , they grow out of it as soon as they are separated for alittle but and put into a larger encloser or free range , the smaller ones do it to show the mother that it's a fighter also to get it better nutrition , to grow out it's own feathers . It's completly normal just separate them for at least a week and a half then put them in a larger encloser . :)

Back
Top Bottom