Cayuga Ducks - first time owning

ReiMiraa

Songster
10 Years
Dec 2, 2009
Leavenworth the "German Town"
My Cayuga Duck eggs arrived today. 12 all look good. going to let them rest a day, candle them tomorrow night to check the air cells and might put them in the bator tomorrow night.

This is my first duck batch. Never owned ducks before. anything special to know about hatching duck eggs? they are sharing the bator with my chicken eggs ( have a sportsman cabinet and so i do stagger hatches)

Thank you and anyone is welcome to join along

Hi,
I just lost an ENTIRE batch of 12 mallard eggs.After talking with people I realized I had the temp too high and Rh too low.I have 8 more in there right now...temp at 100 in a LG still air and Rh fluctuating between 55-60 %. I had several die right before hatching...
sad.png
I think it was that the humidity was too low for ducks.This time I'm going to spritz the eggs once a day....so far it's only day 4...
So...I am not really qualified to give advice on what TO do...just what NOT to do
smile.png

BTW, I have three Cayuga hens...I love them
smile.png

Last edited:
Congratulations! I am a first time duck owner as well, I have 1 week old Cayuga duckling and 2 more will be here tomorrow to replace the 2 that died during shipping. Maybe we can learn together! lol
I absolutely LOVE the color of the Cayugas, when I was little my grandma had game cocks and my favorite ones were always the ones with the black/green feathers. Can't wait to see pictures of your pretty babies after they hatch!

Back
Top Bottom