Cayuga ducks???

I have heard that muscovy females don't really quack either. So if you are looking for one that is quiet, I'd go with muscovies if you are planning on breeding them. If not, then get whatever you want, as long as the are drakes!

However they don't, in my experience, just stand around quacking for the fun of it.

I beg to differ. Lana does exactly this. She has food, water, treats, water to swim in, her flockmates nearby, the cat is locked in the house (so he isn't the problem) and she just GOES OFF for about 5 minutes (or until I stick my head out and tell her to shush!)​

wifezilla~ Apparently you didn't read where I said IN MY EXPERIENCE. I did NOT make a statement saying that that was how everyones ducks are, thank you.
smile.png

My ducks free range my entire property so maybe they are too happy to waste time quacking.
lol.png

I'll be sure to tell Lana that since other ducks don't just quack for the heck of it she should stop. I am SURE that will work!

lau.gif

I read that same wiki article on Cayuga's and thought "wow these are the perfect ducks!"

She's not AS loud as my Pekin was but she is definitely loud when she wants to be heard.

We have both black and blue Cayugas, and I honestly have to say, we never really notice them?
The males are very quite, and only once in a blue moon do the hens get their dander up. I have had well over 100 different breeds wild and domestic, and there are many many breeds that are way louder. For the most part our hens just do that muffled cackle that they do. When they do get lit, it is just one quick burst, nothing like a rooster going on and on and on.... you get the point!

Try 'em, I think you'll like them, any domestic is noisey if you are looking for it.
Good luck,
Aubrey

My pekins, mallards, and Rouens were all very LOUD!

And I would think that cayuga ducks would be just as loud because they too are mallard derived ducks.

You should think about Muscovies, they are great mothers, hatch tons of babies, and the males and females don't make any noise etcept for small "squaks" and those are from the females.

The males just "hiss" or breath hard.

Back
Top Bottom