Cayuga Hatching Eggs 12

ReiMiraa

Songster
10 Years
Dec 2, 2009
Leavenworth the "German Town"

Right now my ducks are outlaying my chickens. I will clean the eggs if they are mucky (ducks have a bad habit of laying eggs in the mud to hide them). Mine have always hatched even if cleaned, its better than adding that much bacteria to the incubator.

The female ducks quack and the males sound silly. Often the females will get some white feathers as they age. My 2 year old female is looking like a dalmation now.
The Cayuga duck is a threatened breed and does not fly (migrate) my adults are only able to 'cruise' 3 feet high for a few yards.
They are shiny black and have done well with the weather here in the mountains. Mine try to swim in the snow and are the only birds happy in the winter....

They are happy free ranging (sometimes they go far) and have a small pool in the summer as their swim source. Small tubs in the winter that freeze every night. If you have a pond or lake I am sure they would be happy and you might not ever see them again.

I will ship in the flat rate boxes that the USPS has. I will pack the eggs in an egg carton and fill the box as full of packing stuff for shipping.

Square (Cash) is my method for payment. Check out their site its a great app.

I have had a 95% hatch rate in the summer. Doing a test right now for winter conditions, IE see how cold eggs hatch.

Check out my facebook page: Rachel's Hen House and see the rest of my flock and updates.

Last edited:
Looks like you have lots of drakes in your flock. Those should be fertile eggs!
Also, I love your first picture. I have some older cayuga hens that have started turning white. They are so pretty!

I got my quackery as eggs from someone the north east coast area two years ago. I try to keep only the blackest but as they age and do their multiple molts I get a few white feathers. They are great backyard birds but I wouldn't say show quality. I am going to try to take a few to the Monroe show.

I got my quackery as eggs from someone the north east coast area two years ago. I try to keep only the blackest but as they age and do their multiple molts I get a few white feathers. They are great backyard birds but I wouldn't say show quality. I am going to try to take a few to the Monroe show.
Well, they are super adorable and as soon as I have space, I'll be adding some Cayugas to my bevy. : )

~ Aspen

I am back home now. I currently have a local order to hatch 2 ducklings. Otherwise let me know when to start saving eggs for shipping.

the real question... should i set 3 eggs incase one doesn't hatch? so set 2 and if one or both don't start development try another set?

i am curious how others plan for chick orders..

Would you be able to ship fewer than twelve. My incubator only holds seven. And if so how much is the cost? Also I have eggs in there now. Would you have eggs avaliable the week of the twenty fith?

Back
Top Bottom