Cayuga nesting but not eating or drinking. Normal behavior?

daphneplus5

Hatching
6 Years
May 16, 2013
My Cayuga is nesting and sitting on her eggs. She doesn't leave them. I have food and water next to her but she doesn't move. I hand feed her a few worms and she drinks a tiny bit of water, but she isn't interested in food either. She seems seems very lethargic. Is this normal when they sit to stop eating and drinking? Thank s for any help.

I would try and break her brooding quickly. If she continues to not eat or drink much, she might die. Take the eggs and nest away. If she is stubborn, but her in a wire cage, put ice cubes under her, or give her a cold bath.

Or, there is a possibility that she is egg bound. Egg bound - when and egg is stuck in the hen and she can not lay it. This is potentially deadly. Check to see if you can feel a 'lump' around her rear end or under her.

My Cayuga is nesting and sitting on her eggs. She doesn't leave them. I have food and water next to her but she doesn't move. I hand feed her a few worms and she drinks a tiny bit of water, but she isn't interested in food either. She seems seems very lethargic. Is this normal when they sit to stop eating and drinking? Thank s for any help.
I make sure my broody's get off the nest at least once a day, for eating drinking and bathing. you may have to remove her by hand but take her off.

I took Daphne off of her nest. She stretched, ate a small bit of food, 3 worms, and drank some water, walked around and pooped. Then went back to her nest. She had 5 eggs two days ago, and now has only two eggs. I think that's why he doesn't want to leave. Something is threatening her eggs. I found the broken eggs about 6 feet from her nest. Should I still leave her there and just take her off everyday? Should I leave the food and water there or take all of the food and water away and just bring it too her once a day so the food doesn't attract other predators? I don't want her hurt, but I also don't want her to loose her babies. Help.

I took Daphne off of her nest. She stretched, ate a small bit of food, 3 worms, and drank some water, walked around and pooped. Then went back to her nest. She had 5 eggs two days ago, and now has only two eggs. I think that's why he doesn't want to leave. Something is threatening her eggs. I found the broken eggs about 6 feet from her nest. Should I still leave her there and just take her off everyday? Should I leave the food and water there or take all of the food and water away and just bring it too her once a day so the food doesn't attract other predators? I don't want her hurt, but I also don't want her to loose her babies. Help.
Where is she brooding? If something is threatening her and her eggs then most likely she'll not make it to hatch these ducklings it's just a matter of time, It's our responsibility to make sure our flocks are safe from predators even if we have to break up one brooding in a unsafe place. You could also try moving her nest and all to a safer place. sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. But for the safety of her and her ducklings I'd think about that possibility too, When I moved my broody she was sitting in a dog crate inside of my feed room, so about 1 week before hatch day I moved her out to my lil coop for privacy and safety, she got off the eggs and after about 15 mins went back into the feed room I just picked her up and carried her back to the coop put her inside closed the door to the coop and left her there for the day, next day she was like she had been brooding there all the time. But some have tried to move their broody's and have not had success. Mabe take evaluation of where she is and decide what is best for her, could be any number of things getting the eggs, rats, snakes other flock members. DoNot leave food and water out in the open close to your broody you just asking for trouble.

Last edited:
Thank you. Sadly, it's too late. Something got the last two eggs last night. Looks like she tried to fight them off because she has a small injury under her eye. I feel so bad for her. She is back at my pond where she was raised, but is visibly shaken. There is something eating my ducks here also and I think that why she went to the neighbors house. I have two other 7 week old Cayugas that sure not her babies . They are almost full grown. Daphne and the new ducks don't seem to like each other. I understand I am supposed to put them all together and they will work it out. She has had so much stress, I don't know what to do. I am new at this. Thank you for any help you can give.

They need a safe place. You need to figure out how to provide it. There are many ways to do that.

If she has an injury, that needs to be treated to prevent infection. Forum members have alot of experience, so if you need suggestions we are happy to make some.

Predators keep coming back. Often, they come back until there are no more ducks. This is harsh, but that is what we have seen.

Get them to safe shelter, at least at night.

hugs.gif

Broody's don't get along with anyone, your going to have to give her time to get over it. She does need to be treated if she has wounds, but any time you introduce adult ducks to young ones it has to be gradual, set the young ones up in their own space with protection from elements and preds but where the adults can see them it takes time but they can get along. Sorry she lost her eggs, it's amazing to me you didn't lose her.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom