Cayuga questions

Newbie6789

Songster
Mar 4, 2020
Hi Duckie friends! A few questions on Cayuga's (didn't find much on BYC). At what age will I be able to tell the sex? Some googled sites say 10-12 weeks, others say 7-8 months for the curl to show. Regarding their sound - aren't they normally quieter than Pekin and Welsh Harlequins? My 2 gorgeous Cayuga's do more of a low "murmur" than a loud, obnoxious QUACK like the Pekin and WH, leading me to think they are males. However - all the ducks do this little low duck murmur more of the day than not. I am hoping for at least 1 female. Regarding laying, IF either or both of them are female, about when will they start to lay? Both the WH and Cayuga's are SOOOO MUCH bigger than the kakhi's where last year at the same age. At 6 weeks of age, they were almost completely feathered out.
Thanks!
Cayuga and Welshies 2021 enjoying peas.jpg

Hi Duckie friends! A few questions on Cayuga's (didn't find much on BYC). At what age will I be able to tell the sex? Some googled sites say 10-12 weeks, others say 7-8 months for the curl to show. Regarding their sound - aren't they normally quieter than Pekin and Welsh Harlequins? My 2 gorgeous Cayuga's do more of a low "murmur" than a loud, obnoxious QUACK like the Pekin and WH, leading me to think they are males. However - all the ducks do this little low duck murmur more of the day than not. I am hoping for at least 1 female. Regarding laying, IF either or both of them are female, about when will they start to lay? Both the WH and Cayuga's are SOOOO MUCH bigger than the kakhi's where last year at the same age. At 6 weeks of age, they were almost completely feathered out.
Thanks!View attachment 2785845
Eventually they will either quack or rasp like all the others. My 10 youngins are about 8 weeks old now and I already have four that are definitely quacking. I never throw in the towel until they lose their baby voices and start their smokers cough voice.. but I have noticed with the cayugas the young Drakes will make kind of a whistling sound for a while before losing their voice. Girls kind of grunt and squeak.
You should be able to positively voice sex them long before the appearance of a drake curl.

I'm not positive on the egg laying because I haven't raised a female from hatch yet.

Have 6 cayugas here, none are laying yet but they're just a few months old, read about 6 months for that. If you pick them up and make them slightly uncomfortable, they'll quack or rasp at ya. I just tilt them from one side to the other until they do.. then the drakes get a ziptie around the ankle- loose, but just a quick way to identify later on.

your ducks are gorgeous!! my Cayuga never really quacked too loud.. she just had a soft quack, like a pekin, with a pillow over its head, lol
My new little cayuga is kinda the same.. everyone else starting to get loud.. she is just more quiet.

They are so precious!!💕💕

Back
Top Bottom