CD's as hawk deterrent

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by artsyrobin, Jan 22, 2010.

1. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    I was wondering how far to space cd's to discourage hawks? I know it isn't fool proof, but ten feet, twenty feet? I alsao feed wild birds and don't want to scare them or the Jays away....

2. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Whe I put mine up, I was more concerned about how many I put out there in a certain area, I hung them on every branch that would hold them. I thought the sun had to be able to have access to them to give off a glare to the hawks. The more I hung on a tree, the more the sun hit them and reflected off of them. Seem sto work. Not the prettiest thing, but it does work. Almost like hanging ornaments on a Christmas tree. Stick one wherever there is a branch.

3. Daidohead

Daidohead Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2009
    Red Bluff, Ca
    I had 1 string of 10 cd's hanging from a 20' high branch. On a sunny day there was not a bird within a quarter mile of my house. Freaked my chickens out too, better than a disco ball. Do not use if you have a history of LSD use.

4. vstoltzfus

vstoltzfus Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2009
    Lancaster County, PA
    I strung mine across the top of my run when I saw a hawk perched in a branch right above them. I ran string from post to post across the coop and put one cd on each string, because that was all I had. Never saw the hawk again.

5. NateinFL

NateinFL Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2009
    Wesley Chapel FL
    CDs dangling from a tree out in the open doesnt work, I found out the hard way. Now maybe if you are just using them to cover a run that isnt covered, that would work.

6. LovinMyPeeps

LovinMyPeeps Sees Wine Dots

Mar 22, 2009
    Heuvelton, NY
    Quote:[​IMG]

LOL fortunately that should not be a problem.

7. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    ok, since they were scaring off the blue jays, i compromised and have them in the area the gals like to hang out, but not around the bird feeding area, so the jays are back, we haven't had a hawk problem but they do fly over, figure with the 2 big brahma roos, the guineas, and the cds might offer some protection- also thinking of adding some turkeys in the spring....

the reflection on those disks is really something! the guineas and chickens had to go check em out...[​IMG]

8. noodlebell

noodlebell Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2014
    Auburn, GA
    Did you have hawk attacks after using CD's as a deterrent? How did you hang them?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by