1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

CD's as hawk deterrent

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by artsyrobin, Jan 22, 2010.

1. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    I was wondering how far to space cd's to discourage hawks? I know it isn't fool proof, but ten feet, twenty feet? I alsao feed wild birds and don't want to scare them or the Jays away....

2. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Whe I put mine up, I was more concerned about how many I put out there in a certain area, I hung them on every branch that would hold them. I thought the sun had to be able to have access to them to give off a glare to the hawks. The more I hung on a tree, the more the sun hit them and reflected off of them. Seem sto work. Not the prettiest thing, but it does work. Almost like hanging ornaments on a Christmas tree. Stick one wherever there is a branch.

3. Daidohead

Daidohead Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2009
    Red Bluff, Ca
    I had 1 string of 10 cd's hanging from a 20' high branch. On a sunny day there was not a bird within a quarter mile of my house. Freaked my chickens out too, better than a disco ball. Do not use if you have a history of LSD use.

4. vstoltzfus

vstoltzfus Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2009
    Lancaster County, PA
    I strung mine across the top of my run when I saw a hawk perched in a branch right above them. I ran string from post to post across the coop and put one cd on each string, because that was all I had. Never saw the hawk again.

5. NateinFL

NateinFL Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2009
    Wesley Chapel FL
    CDs dangling from a tree out in the open doesnt work, I found out the hard way. Now maybe if you are just using them to cover a run that isnt covered, that would work.

6. LovinMyPeeps

LovinMyPeeps Sees Wine Dots

Mar 22, 2009
    Heuvelton, NY
    Quote:[​IMG]

LOL fortunately that should not be a problem.

7. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    ok, since they were scaring off the blue jays, i compromised and have them in the area the gals like to hang out, but not around the bird feeding area, so the jays are back, we haven't had a hawk problem but they do fly over, figure with the 2 big brahma roos, the guineas, and the cds might offer some protection- also thinking of adding some turkeys in the spring....

the reflection on those disks is really something! the guineas and chickens had to go check em out...[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by