CD's as hawk deterrent

artsyrobin

Artful Wings
15 Years
Mar 1, 2009
Muskogee OK
I was wondering how far to space cd's to discourage hawks? I know it isn't fool proof, but ten feet, twenty feet? I alsao feed wild birds and don't want to scare them or the Jays away....

Whe I put mine up, I was more concerned about how many I put out there in a certain area, I hung them on every branch that would hold them. I thought the sun had to be able to have access to them to give off a glare to the hawks. The more I hung on a tree, the more the sun hit them and reflected off of them. Seem sto work. Not the prettiest thing, but it does work. Almost like hanging ornaments on a Christmas tree. Stick one wherever there is a branch.

I had 1 string of 10 cd's hanging from a 20' high branch. On a sunny day there was not a bird within a quarter mile of my house. Freaked my chickens out too, better than a disco ball. Do not use if you have a history of LSD use.

I strung mine across the top of my run when I saw a hawk perched in a branch right above them. I ran string from post to post across the coop and put one cd on each string, because that was all I had. Never saw the hawk again.

CDs dangling from a tree out in the open doesnt work, I found out the hard way. Now maybe if you are just using them to cover a run that isnt covered, that would work.

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif

LOL fortunately that should not be a problem.

ok, since they were scaring off the blue jays, i compromised and have them in the area the gals like to hang out, but not around the bird feeding area, so the jays are back, we haven't had a hawk problem but they do fly over, figure with the 2 big brahma roos, the guineas, and the cds might offer some protection- also thinking of adding some turkeys in the spring....

the reflection on those disks is really something! the guineas and chickens had to go check em out...
roll.png

I used to have feeders for wild birds but NO more. The hawks would just use my yard for a buffet. I’m usually out when my chickens are out. Last night a hawk was after a dove right on my fence. I screamed, the chickens hid, the hawk was put off his kill (phew!). 10 minuets later he was back perched on my roof. I screamed again and scared him off (pretty brazen). So today I got our some old CD’s and am going to try them.

Hang up a Michael Bolton CD.... not only will it deter hawks from coming onto your property, but also humans too.

Back
Top Bottom