Cecal poop or abnormal poop?

Sep 18, 2019
Lafayette, CA
I have nine chicks about 5.5 weeks old. When they are getting their outside time in my garage, I am frequently running around with paper towel pieces to clean up poop, and while I see lots of normal poop I also see equal amounts of runny brown poop. I’m hoping it counts as Cecal poop and not diarrhea. I’m attaching one pic. It’s quite messy! I wasn’t expecting this much of it, but I guess with nine it’s hard to see who’s done it—whether it’s one chick or all of them taking turns.

Attachments

• 8FEC0098-91FA-4E22-8453-4106351E2A72.jpeg
    8FEC0098-91FA-4E22-8453-4106351E2A72.jpeg
    561.5 KB · Views: 71
If it's stinky, it's cecal which should happen every 10 poops or so. Are the 'regular' poops also foamy? Apparently foam can be caused by stress on the kidneys from an excess in vitamins - they're not on layer feed, are they?
I've only just started researching this bit as my broody is having similar - I think from the high protein starter crumble - and I want to make sure it does not lead to gout or kidney damage.

Definitely go for the recommendation on Cordid if they haven't been vaccinated (works in reverse if they have). Either through medicated feed or drops in the water. Better to prevent an infestation than have to deal with it later - especially since it can kill chicks so quickly.

If it's stinky, it's cecal which should happen every 10 poops or so. Are the 'regular' poops also foamy? Apparently foam can be caused by stress on the kidneys from an excess in vitamins - they're not on layer feed, are they?
I've only just started researching this bit as my broody is having similar - I think from the high protein starter crumble - and I want to make sure it does not lead to gout or kidney damage.

Definitely go for the recommendation on Cordid if they haven't been vaccinated (works in reverse if they have). Either through medicated feed or drops in the water. Better to prevent an infestation than have to deal with it later - especially since it can kill chicks so quickly.
The regular poops are not foamy ...but I haven’t been able to tell if the pooper is putting out any normal poops. Also, I ordered the chicks vaccinated for Coccidosis (sorry I’m new and not up on the spelling) so would using Corid still be a good idea?

Back
Top Bottom