Cecal poop or should I be worried?

Cutothechase

Hatching
Jan 22, 2020
Do these look like normal cecal poops to you or abnormal poops?
burnafterposting2.jpg burnafterposting3.jpg burnafterposting1.jpg

Context: I have a 5-month-old Brahma pullet who has been sneezing for almost 2 months. The vet said she is sneezing due to over-grooming from poultry lice, so I've been treating my coop and all chickens for lice, but her sneezing has not lessened. But I'm not positive she is the one pooping these.

There may be some intestinal shed there, but there is a lot. Since there are 3 questionable bloody poops, I would get some Corid and start treatment for possible coccidiosis. Dosage is 2 tsp of Corid liquid or 1.5 tsp of the powder per gallon on water as their only source, for 5-7 days. Make sure they are all drinking well. Do any appear lethargic, puffed up, or are not eating? Vets can do fecal floats to look for worms and coccidiosis if you would rather take the time to do that.

There may be some intestinal shed there, but there is a lot. Since there are 3 questionable bloody poops, I would get some Corid and start treatment for possible coccidiosis. Dosage is 2 tsp of Corid liquid or 1.5 tsp of the powder per gallon on water as their only source, for 5-7 days. Make sure they are all drinking well. Do any appear lethargic, puffed up, or are not eating? Vets can do fecal floats to look for worms and coccidiosis if you would rather take the time to do that.

3 of our 4 hens are lethargic and underweight. Do you think there's any downside to treating with Corid if they don't have coccidiosis?

And thanks, HappyClucker7!

Oh no, Corid is very safe to use, and I would treat them all. In addition to putting it in their water, for the sickest birds, give them a drench. A drench is undiluted Corid and if you are using the powder, you can mix 1.5 tsp with 2 tsp of water and give each one 0.5 ml or 1/2 ml twice a day. Make sure they are drinking well.

Oh no, Corid is very safe to use, and I would treat them all. In addition to putting it in their water, for the sickest birds, give them a drench. A drench is undiluted Corid and if you are using the powder, you can mix 1.5 tsp with 2 tsp of water and give each one 0.5 ml or 1/2 ml twice a day. Make sure they are drinking well.
Thank you so much!! Will do

Back
Top Bottom