Cedar chicken coop- much less than what I paid for it

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by kees, Jun 9, 2008.

1. kees

kees Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    I also posted yesterday about the cedar dog house (chicken coop) which is completely NEW (assembled 2 days ago) that I purchased to house the chicks. I paid $180 but would accept any reasonable offer now. I live in Putnam County, in the Hudson Valley in NY.

2. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    cedar wood is bad for the chickens health , sorry, not i good choice of lumber.

3. kees

kees Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    I wouldn't use cedar chips but I've had the same dog house for over a year now and my silkies have done very well. I certainly respect your input though.

4. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I have a playhouse coop made out of ceader, and my chickens are fine.

5. bugladyleah

bugladyleah Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    PA
    I am not sure where you heard this, but I don't think that is correct. There are actually many sites that sell cedar specifically for poultry and I could find nothing online that would say it is dangerous for chickens. It is a naturally "weather resistant" material...probably better than using treated wood for building. I guess if a specific chicken had an allergy to it or something strange like that.....???

Anyway... I am no wood expert, just MHO.

Leah

6. tricia

tricia Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2007
    West Central Wisconsin
    Cedar is toxic only if they ingest it, which is why cedar shavings/chips aren't a good idea for litter. I think as long as they don't eat the coop they should be fine! [​IMG]

7. amazondoc

amazondoc Cracked Egghead

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    Cedar *shavings* can cause respiratory irritation in a variety of animals, in close quarters. However, I bet that solid cedar *wood* wouldn't give off as much in the way of volatile oil fumes. Just a guess!

8. Oblio13

Oblio13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    New Hampshire
    The "cedar" that's potentially harmful is actually a juniper (Juniperus virginiana). It's marketed as "Eastern Cedar", "Red Cedar", "Aromatic Cedar" and probably a few others.

The "Western Cedar", or "Western Red Cedar" usually used build sheds, saunas, etc is Thuja plicata.

Different critter, not a problem.

9. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    I build everything out of Western Red Cedar, whether it wants me to or not.

[​IMG]

10. chickfillhay

chickfillhay Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2007
    Berlin Nh
    Quote:Hey Tricia :eek:
    FUNNY!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by